• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me settle argument, FEEDING BIRDS FAT! (1 Viewer)

Antony_nz

Hello
Im Anthony and i live in New Zealand.

My father and i are having a little argument. The guy loves animals and birds more than any other person i have meet.
And he loves to pander animals. Good on him i say but here this.

Now few days ago he put a dripping (AKA animal fat) out on a plate for the birds to eat.

The last few days about 12 birds at a time have been eating this animal fat.
He said the bird is called Wax-eye, A very small green bird.
Here is a picture.
istockphoto_435905_wax_eye_bird.jpg

Now i have said to my dad thats disgusting.
I am by no means an exspert on birds but i think its plain wrong to giv birds,
(That have eaten little bits of scrap they have found on the ground for hundreds of years) a huge hunk of fat to feast upon for a whole week.

IT MUST BE BAD FOR THEM!

He doesnt think its a big deal but i scared such a tiny little birds system cant handle such food.

I would like as many opinions as posible so we can find out whos right.
Is it wrong to feed them a huge hunk of fat or am i wrong and its ok?

I would like an opinion from any one but if any of you here deem your self as professionals please state it.

Thx for any replys in the future. I look forward to see what you guys think.

-Ant

well, birds eat suet all the time, which is lard and seeds, and it helps them get fattened up for migration and winter. I dont think theres anything wrong with it at all. Birds have much faster metabolisms tha humans and burn fat like crazy

Hey after some more research i think my dads in the right and i was wrong.
Thank you for the reply.

I want brother him when he feeds them dripping for now on :)

Its winter here in new zealand atm but do you think feeding fat during summer will be a burden.

Btw i live in suburbia.

Hi Antony. I think the key here is moderation. Too much of any one food is usually bad for most creatures (humans included). I'd try to get your father to vary the diet a bit, but yes, some fat can certainly be a part of that, especially in winter.

Fat is good Anthony.I feed fat balls containing seeds and peanut granules all year round.However,soft fats that melt or oils that get onto the feathers can take away the protective waterproof covering, so is a no no.:t:

fat is a natural part of the diet too - small birds like tits and finches can be found feeding on the fat of dead deer etc in harsh climates. It's high in calories, which is what the birds need to stay alive in winter.

Say sorry to Dad, Antony. You should know we are always right.

Hahahaha. My dad douted you guys;)

But its clear you all know what your talking about. Thx for the feed back.

This forums great ill be sure to come back if i have any other things we wish to know.
-Antony

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back