• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Settings for the Sony W55 (1 Viewer)

del69

expat in BG
Hi all, hope every one is fine and well.

Iv just got my self the Sony W55 for digiscoping (Opticron ES80GA ED with HDF T Zoom lens 40862) as my finepix L12 was totally useless for the job.

Got it yesterday,had a quick go to see if it would be fine for digiscoping and to my relief it was fine.

My next job is to make an adapter for it to sit on to the scope,yes i can buy one but i think ill make one instead.Ill post some pictures if any one is interested in seeing the out come of the adapter.

If you use this camera for digiscoping would you be so kind in posting your preferred settings just to get me started.

As iv not seen any pictures using this camera ill post some very soon.

Del.

Well here is my adapter i made with bits of old plastic and glued together then sprayed black,it slips on and off with no trouble.

And a piccy of a Sparrow cleaning its self,not the best of shots but i am still getting used to the camera and settings.

Attachments

• P1140374a.jpg
    P1140374a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 338
  • P1140375a.jpg
    P1140375a.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 248
  • P1140376a.jpg
    P1140376a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00478a.jpg
    DSC00478a.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 302
I guess not many off you are using the sony w55 for scoping maybe not at all.

So would you be happy with a shot like this i know its not crystal clear,still need to experiment with the settings;)

Attachments

• DSC01062a.jpg
    DSC01062a.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 264
W55 settings

I just bought the W55 from the Navy Exhange in Japan and tested it back here in Florida. I use a Zeiss 85 diascope with the Zeiss digital camera adaptor. The limpkin I shot is attached. Settings on the scope were 15x and the camera was set to macro mode at maximum zoom. I disable digital zoom on all my cameras so that limits the optical zoom to 3x on the camera. I use a remote shutter release I got from the UK and the tip of the camera lens rests about 1/8 of an inch from the scope eyepiece. Sometimes I raise the eye relief on the scope to block glare or extend the hood at the end of the scope if needed. Basically, those are the settings I use for every shot. I may zoom in on the scope a bit to 20x or so but that is rare and shots at 30x are worthless. I try for subjects within about 500 feet or so since anything further away is usually distorted from heat shimmer/air currents.

Attachments

• limpkin.jpg
    limpkin.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 232
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back