• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with reading ring please (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
This could be a shot in the dark but I photographed this Reed Bunting in Derbyshire (England) today. Not until I blew the picture up did I notice a ring on the left leg.

I've blown it up as much as I can but I'm struggling to read it. I think there's an eight in there and maybe a seven. Can anyone else zoom in and read what's on the ring please?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 217
Dave,
Reed Buntings take an 'A' size ring which normally has a single letter followed by 6 numbers, so the chances of getting the whole number are a bit slim, sadly.
So unless you have some other shots from other angles, I guess we're struggling here.
Do you know any local ringers? They may be able to help.
Jon

Dave,
Reed Buntings take an 'A' size ring which normally has a single letter followed by 6 numbers, so the chances of getting the whole number are a bit slim, sadly.
So unless you have some other shots from other angles, I guess we're struggling here.
Do you know any local ringers? They may be able to help.
Jon

Thanks for the info, Jon. I'll have to go through the photos and see what I can come up with. I know the chances of getting the full number is pretty slim like you say but I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't know any local ringers myself but I'm pretty sure I wont have much trouble in locating some.

Cheers

You could email the BTO and ask who is ringing in your neck of the woods. I'm not sure if Colin McShane is a Derbyshire ringer.

Jon

You could email the BTO and ask who is ringing in your neck of the woods. I'm not sure if Colin McShane is a Derbyshire ringer.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll look into it. I was given an email address of someone who rings only a few miles away form where I saw the bird. I'm going to go through my photos and send him some through and see if he can help.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back