• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (1 Viewer)

Cheers Andy. I have done the "acid" and found out what firmware version I have and downloaded the revised firmware. Not installing it yet as I want to be sure and read everything.

Sx 40

First bit play with the SX40 today at Sungei Buloh in Singapore,all shots at full zoom exept small red headed type bird,the three croc shots are full zoom,full zoom x1.5 and full zoom x2 tele converter,strange view finder as i am used to the 7d and 400 5.6 or 100-400,nice little camera though and it will be fun to use.

Bob

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 169
  • redheed.jpg
    redheed.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 181
  • swc.jpg
    swc.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 166
  • swc-1.5.jpg
    swc-1.5.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 124
  • swcx2.jpg
    swcx2.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 187
Bob it really held the detail on the croc all the way through the range -better than i thought it would.
Rob.

I find it works reasonably well. I think there is a post further back highlighting the merits of the focus on a rabbits eye through vegetation. I have a 'House Sparrow in a bush' image where the camera behaved itself and also a well hidden Lapwing chick that held the focus that I was totally impressed with.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Thanks Andy

SX40hs-LCD vs Eyepiece-

Hi, Can any SX40hs owner tell me if you have to switch from EVF to LCD screen,or does it switch automatically when you put your eye to the view finder?

With the LCD closed,it auto to eyepiece-with LCD open press DISP to use eyepiece=

First bit play with the SX40 today at Sungei Buloh in Singapore,all shots at full zoom exept small red headed type bird,the three croc shots are full zoom,full zoom x1.5 and full zoom x2 tele converter,strange view finder as i am used to the 7d and 400 5.6 or 100-400,nice little camera though and it will be fun to use.

Bob

Looks like a Common Tailorbird. Nice shots.

Well I had to shoot off a few pictures last night in the dark and rain - crap photo but I think it has potential to be very good in ok light also the iso is super at the higher numbers compared to the sx30. It did struggle to focus in the poor light mind you, which I expected anyway.

Taken about 40 feet away at 1.25s in the RAIN hand held :C

Just need it to stop raining so i can get out.

Attachments

• Image copy4 (Large).jpg
    Image copy4 (Large).jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 190
Here are the photos I've uploaded to the gallery using the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS that I purchased last weekend. They are sharpened slightly to try and get as much detail as possible in the photos, though reducing them to the 325kB limit has affected the image quality, especially on the Common Wood Pigeon shot.

EDIT: The birds are a Kingfisher, Starling, Goldfinch, Wood Pigeon and Magpie.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Here are the photos I've uploaded to the gallery using the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS that I purchased last weekend. They are sharpened slightly to try and get as much detail as possible in the photos, though reducing them to the 325kB limit has affected the image quality, especially on the Common Wood Pigeon shot.

Isn't the Wood pigeon shot the best one?!

Yeah it is, it's also the one I noticed the biggest reduction in quality.
You should not lose a lot when reducing to a web size Ben, most of the shots I post on the web are under 200kb (I have never produce a shot for the web that is any where near as big as your shots) What you must do though is to give it a bit more sharpening after reducing the size.
Attached is a snap I took yesterday that is 177kb which is a typical web size for most folks.

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back