• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji HS50EXR or Canon SX50? (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

Have finally made the decision to trade in my Canon 7D/400mm set up to go back to a superzoom (it will be appearing in the classified section shortly). Don't get the chance to do any dedicated wildlife photography these days so need something that I can carry everywhere and that can do everything in one with no lense changes.

Am really liking the sound of the Fuji but more bird photographers seem to use the Canon. Why would I go for the SX50 over the Fuji?

The things I like the sound of about the Fuji are the chunky DSLR feel, the manual zoom and the fast focus and better macro ability. The pros of the Canon would I guess be the extra zoom and smaller.

Last edited:
Since there's so many more Canon buyers than Fuji buyers, you will probably get a lot more replies about how great the Canon is. I don't own either camera, but from what I can see the Canon is of course a good bridge camera. The constant complaint about the Fuji is IQ problems. Soft pictures and that sort of thing. However I am also interested in the HS50EXR, and have talked to several owners of that camera privately, and they all love it. I made a point of asking about the electronic viewfinder, and they all have told me it's a very good one. The same can't be said for the Canon from what I have read. I also see some stunning photos here and on places like Flicker that lead me to believe the Fuji is a good camera.
My thought would be since you are used to using manual zoom and an optical viewfinder, choosing the Fuji might be the way to go.

I had both and sold the fuji and kept the SX50. The fuji was just not up to the IQ of the canon + I was getting some focus problems on my Fuji every so often.

Since there's so many more Canon buyers than Fuji buyers, you will probably get a lot more replies about how great the Canon is. I don't own either camera, but from what I can see the Canon is of course a good bridge camera. The constant complaint about the Fuji is IQ problems. Soft pictures and that sort of thing. However I am also interested in the HS50EXR, and have talked to several owners of that camera privately, and they all love it. I made a point of asking about the electronic viewfinder, and they all have told me it's a very good one. The same can't be said for the Canon from what I have read. I also see some stunning photos here and on places like Flicker that lead me to believe the Fuji is a good camera.
My thought would be since you are used to using manual zoom and an optical viewfinder, choosing the Fuji might be the way to go.

Well I went for the Fuji and while I haven't had a chance to have a serious play yet, on first impressions I am very impressed. It feels nice almost DSLR like, the manual zoom is great and the autofocus seems really fast.

OK, a week on and I absolutely love the feel and handling of the camera, but I think I'm starting to see what people mean by the soft images. I haven't got a great one yet, although admittedly the light has been terrible and most of my attempts have been through windows.

I still think its the right camera for me and I've seen examples of great photos taken with it, but maybe the settings take some time to figure out?

OK, a week on and I absolutely love the feel and handling of the camera, but I think I'm starting to see what people mean by the soft images. I haven't got a great one yet, although admittedly the light has been terrible and most of my attempts have been through windows.

I still think its the right camera for me and I've seen examples of great photos taken with it, but maybe the settings take some time to figure out?

I see a lot of comments about learning how to get the settings right on this camera. I have a Fuji S4800, an entry level Fuji admittedly, but it's the same for me. I had to learn (and am still learning) how to use different settings for different situations. In good light, like direct sunlight or brightly lit places, I can get some amazingly clear photos, but on dull days or in shadowy conditions, especially with "through the window" shots, I get a lot of noise. I think any bridge camera is prone to that, my cheapie especially. lol.

But like I said before, I also see some fabulous pics from the HS50. I bet before long you'll be doing better and better with it as you learn the camera. :)

mcfudge's gallery on here is what puts my mind at rest. That shows what the camera can do. It does seem that the SX50 image quality is probably better, but for that you trade the manual zoom and nicer handling of the HS50.

mcfudge's gallery on here is what puts my mind at rest. That shows what the camera can do. It does seem that the SX50 image quality is probably better, but for that you trade the manual zoom and nicer handling of the HS50.
It's all swings and roundabouts A. Hope you enjoy getting to know your new camera and looking forward to seeing some of your shots:t:

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back