• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do Birds Say? (1 Viewer)

ChuckB

Birding books often describe bird calls or songs in words, but I find it fun to make up my own descriptions.

Here's an example: On a walk in the woods with my wife, I tried to stimulate her interest in birds by pointing out what the American goldfinch was saying. The books describe their call as "per-chic-o-ree," but I told my wife it was saying, "Look at me!" (It worked for a while, but she's still not a birder.)

So, what do you hear birds saying? I'll start with a short list of my favorites:

• American Goldfinch: Conventional: "per-chic-o-ree." I hear: "Look at me!"
  • Phainopepla: Conventional: "wurp." I hear: My three-year-old granddaughter saying, "huh?"
  • White-breasted nuthatch: Conventional: "yank-yank." I hear: A cartoon character from many years ago saying "Snarf! Snarf!"

What can you add to the list?

Hi Chuck,

When I hear birds singing or calling I don't associate their song with a saying. I do associate them with other things.

Northern Cardinal - It's the video game bird
Chimney Swifts - Bats that have their sonar cranked so high I can hear it
Song Sparrows - Little robots
(Other small birds songs have a mechanical sound to me so it gets confusing)
Like Goldfinches and House Finches sound like little robots at times. :)

Good luck with your wife ;) Maybe you will find something that interests you both about birds or other things walking in the woods, flowers, tress and plants. Animal tracks. A simple camera to take photos along the way.

See ya,

Dana

people may look the same but i carn't say that for our birds
De Liver Bird’s already on de wing.:t:

Attachments

• Picture 2376 (Small).jpg
    Picture 2376 (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 1656 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1656 (Small).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 2298 (Small).jpg
    Picture 2298 (Small).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 2209 (Small).jpg
    Picture 2209 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 80
Birds that sound like other things:

Dupont's Lark - rusty swing
LOng-eared Owl - Blowing in a bottle, or low-frequency vibration caused by passing lorry
Little Bittern - distant barking dog
Water Rail - the slaughter of the pig
Little Bustard - short juicy raspberry (!)
Eurasian Nightjar - alien spacecraft

and some birds that say things:

Go-back, go-back - Red Grouse
Teacher, teacher, teacher - Great Tit
Cetti, cetti, come-and-get-the-Cetti - Cetti's Warbler
O-ri-o-ol - Golden Oriole
Set-per-vuit, set-per-vuit (seven times eight in Catalan) - Quail
are-you-going? (x3), don't know (x 3), may-be (x3)... - Song thrush
Ooo-oh! (sexy) - Eider

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back