• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Spanish Ibex in the province of Malaga (1 Viewer)

Kent Olsen

Next week I’m going to Malaga for a mammaling and birding holiday. Main target is Iberian Lynx in Sierra Morena, but Spanish Ibex is also high on priority.

I’m driving from Malaga Airport to Andújar and hope that Spanish Ibex could be added without too much of a detour. Could someone provide directions for a reliable site for Ibex that fits such whishes? Is Ibex possible west of Granada? Or alternatively give another site possibly in Sierra Nevada?

Cheers

Kent

Mark's report says it all really. We looked for the ibex in the Sierra Nevada and found a small group on a scree just above the main road (A359?). This is probably the best area to look for them but I would allow plenty of time. Dawn or late afternoon is best, although we found ours in the afternoon.

We also saw ibex in the Sierras De Las Nieves late in the afternoon. This area is also a good place to see them although our sighting was incidental.

Last edited:
El Torcal, about half an hour's drive north of Malaga (and just south of Antequera) is good for ibex. (photo below taken from the car on the way back down.

The ski resort at Sierra Nevada is spot on. I was walking amongst adult ibex grazing at the side of the road above the car park a couple of years or so ago.

Attachments

• Ibex 05 copy.jpg
    Ibex 05 copy.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 84
I saw them last summer near the end of the road (A395) up from the Sierra Nevada ski resort of Solynieve. That is accessed from Granada so probably not very useful to you, especially at this time of year.

Geoff

Mark's report says it all really. We looked for the ibex in the Sierra Nevada and found a small group on a scree just above the main road (A359?). This is probably the best area to look for them but I would allow plenty of time. Dawn or late afternoon is best, although we found ours in the afternoon.

We also saw them here, but virtually no searching was required, the first group seen crssing the road, then posing nicely for pictures, the next further up near the car park, again seen from the road. Report here, including the Lynx site.

somehow I cannot find the road mentioned (both A359 and A395, I guess one is a typo but which one) on my map? Would it be possible to add a bit more information like where the road is heading to?

We are going to the area in the end of april (mostly for the lynx) and trying for the Ibex would be a very nice detour.

greetings,

Pierre van der Wielen

somehow I cannot find the road mentioned (both A359 and A395, I guess one is a typo but which one) on my map? Would it be possible to add a bit more information like where the road is heading to?

We are going to the area in the end of april (mostly for the lynx) and trying for the Ibex would be a very nice detour.

greetings,

Pierre van der Wielen

It's the road (A395) that runs south-easterly from Granada into the Sierra Nevada, reaching to the main ski resort at about 2,500m altitude. It's well signposted from the Granada ring-road with brown tourist road-signs pointing to Sierra Nevada.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back