• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One Day In Thailand (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
A last-minute hastily-booked family holiday, and possibly our last: Thailand, and a chance of a re-visit to Kaeng Krachan.

The 4X4 was booked, research done. Just a couple of days to settle in and rest at the wonderful Evason in Hua Hin.

Day two and an early morning walk around the hotel had familiarised me again to the common birds, I was raring to get out to the jungle. The lush gardens are a haven for wildlife in the dry mid-winter and Hoopoes were breeding in the eaves of the villas, Green bee-eaters constantly calling, a Yellow bittern a regular to the pond, where Plain prinias and, once, a Kingfisher could be seen. Dusky and Pale-legged leaf warblers and a host of other birds filled the trees and skies. But disaster, unbeknown to me, had already fallen on that warm bright day.

I arrived back at our villa where Green bee-eaters perched and Hoopoes called, Koels and White-vented mynas adding to to sounds, to find Mrs.H in a very bad way.

White in shock and pain, during my brief time away her cancer-ridden ribs had separated from her sternum and she stood, strangely-shaped and rigid, looking as if about to collapse. I knew in a heavy heartbeat that Thailand perhaps had been a wish too far.

An hour later we were on our way to hospital, Mrs.H carefully swaddled in an inflatable stretcher, oxygen mask on; the driver trying to find the smoothest route. Half a day passed while doctors assessed and X-rayed, scanned and monitored. Her breathing laboured and oxygen level low. But we were eventually allowed back to the hotel, whose wonderful staff had accompanied us, and we put her to bed, the extra painkillers easing the torture.

Kaeng Krachan and Spoon-billed sandpipers would have to wait: but would we get home at all? Could we fly?

Well, over the next few days, and another check-up at hospital, and largely due to the extensive care of the hotel staff and all they did for us, Mrs.H improved enough to allow me to think about a brief trip to the jungle. Leaving very early one morning, with my daughter in the role of carer-in-chief, I set off for my one half-day of birding. Destination Pala-U waterfall: nearest part of the same forest of the Kaeng Krachan complex, and accessible without permits.

I arrived in darkness at the unmanned road barrier: lights on, but no-one home. I undid the rope and raised the barrier, closing it again behind me, then drove the last mile to the end. As I did so my headlights picked out a pair of Large-tailed nightjars obligingly sitting on the road: first bird, dawn not yet a glimmer.

Stars crammed the ink of the sky in the cool pre-dawn, then light gathered gradually in the east. Birds began to wake. I made my way to the river - the only access to the jungle, and before proper light. The first bird-wave hit some forty minutes later. Verditer flycatcher, Black-naped monarchs, Grey-headed canary flycatchers, Ochraceous bulbuls and Bar-winged flycatcher shrikes came past. Up in the canopy Black-headed and Black-crested bulbuls, below them Pin-striped tit-babblers. A Blue-eared barbet caught the rising sun and shone.

Down in the dark of the forest a Blue whistling thrush watched. White-rumped shamas sang and showed. A male Siberian blue robin's movements along the shadows of the leaf-stewn ground: tail shivering. A white-browed fantail and a Great iora more conspicuous, while, high up in a fruiting tree several Spangled drongos moved. A Green-billed malkoha slipped into cover, a Crimson sunbird burned in the sun. But down at the river the star of the show.

Suddenly a pair of Slaty-backed forktails flew by and landed close, offering fantastic views: they were to be my only tick of the day: but what a tick!

Further and further up river but not much more to see - though Chinese blue flycatchers were obliging. So a retreat to the roadside clearing and more sedate and safer birding (I had seen no-one else all morning, had had to climb and wade, and had slipped once - fortunately only getting bruised and wet - but I couldn't afford to break a leg).

Down in a more open spot I let the birds come to me. A party of Large woodshrikes hunted and Paradise flycatchers showed. A gorgeous female Raffles' malkoha came out into the light and delighted. A Grey-eyed bulbul fed with the Ochraceous, more Bar-winged flycatcher shrikes, and further into shade, a female Banded kingfisher obliged by perching for a long while close to, sallying to grab insects or lizards from leaves or branches, raising and lowering her head feathers and sleaking her body, to transform her shape.

Dusky langurs trooped by, loud and near, watching me, their pale-spectacled faces peering, long tails hanging.

And, as my time began to run out, and the day grew hot a final performer came to shine in the sun not twenty yards away: Violet cuckoo.

Well the next several days saw small improvements in Mrs.H and we got a fit-to-fly note. Once again the hotel staff accompanied us to the airport and we managed to wangle a flatbed business-class seat for her: our uninsurable trip ended without huge extra costs, and the alms we had given to the local monks and prayers to Buddha? Perhaps they had played their part.

Last edited:
Halftwo,

What a dramatic "holiday"! Life is unpredictable.... So glad to hear that things calmed down and that you made a safe return. It's nice you could enjoy some of the beautiful scenery and birds in the midst of all that.

H, I'm so sorry for Mrs. H. For you all. I hope she is comfortable now.
It's great you got a short time out. You need your pain killers too and a forest of birds can't help but replenish the spirit.
Some of the bird names are so fantastic. I wish we had traveled in Thailand. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.... Violet Cuckoo? Wow.
I'm going to have to go on the net and look some of thes things up. (Not that I don't have a stack of things here to ID).
Sending prayers of comfort from Panama,
Sue

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about this H, I did look for you at PT and again at Kaeng Krachan, wondering what had happened. Seems 'Tough Sh*t' had his Docs on for you once again..... Next time...

Gibbons trooped by, loud and near, watching me, their pale-spectacled faces peering, long tails hanging.

Think about this H, not like you!

I'm really sorry to hear about this H, I did look for you at PT and again at Kaeng Krachan, wondering what had happened. Seems 'Tough Sh*t' had his Docs on for you once again..... Next time...

Think about this H, not like you!

Thanks, Mark.

Ha ha - yes, Dusky langurs were what they were, of course!!

Halftwo,

What a dramatic "holiday"! Life is unpredictable.... So glad to hear that things calmed down and that you made a safe return. It's nice you could enjoy some of the beautiful scenery and birds in the midst of all that.

Thanks, Gretchen.

I actually managed another 'tick' while in Thailand - a pair of Black-winged cuckooshrikes visited the hotel gardens one day.

H

Mark only just told me this afternoon about 'what happened' in Thailand H2....:cat:

Life's unpredictable lightening bolts hit us all.........

[Other words fail me as they often do]....:smoke:

Glad u back safe.....:t:

Hey H

Can't even begin to imagine what you're all going through mate....but glad you're all back. At least you didn't have to visit the hospital I did in Kaeng Krachan village....!!

A wonderful tale and Im sorry to hear of your wife illness. I currently live in Thailand and work for Six Senses in there environmental department. Living in Thailand has sent me bird crazy, and Im so happy to hear to saw the species you did and got a 'tick'. On behalf everyone at Six Senses and Evason Hua Hin, we wish you all the best and send you our warmest regards.

Rik

I knew in a heavy heartbeat that Thailand perhaps had been a wish too far.

A wish to spend valuable time together in a place dear to your hearts, that cannot be a wish too far. I can't speak for Mrs H, but were it me, I'd be so thankful for a partner willing to let us keep enjoying life while we could. Good on you both for making the most of everything.

Hey H

Can't even begin to imagine what you're all going through mate....but glad you're all back. At least you didn't have to visit the hospital I did in Kaeng Krachan village....!!

Gutted H. Best wishes and fingers crossed for the future from me and Nicky. Take it easy.

A wish to spend valuable time together in a place dear to your hearts, that cannot be a wish too far. I can't speak for Mrs H, but were it me, I'd be so thankful for a partner willing to let us keep enjoying life while we could. Good on you both for making the most of everything.

Ads, Larry & Nicky, Jos,

Thanks everyone for the wishes and sentiments. Mrs.H has now started on chemo again, and we await any possible side-effects with nervous anticipation. We hope the holiday will have given her a boost in the meantime. It wouldn't have been a normal holiday without another adventure though, would it!

Rik - I'm going to answer your reply separately - see below.

H

A wonderful tale and Im sorry to hear of your wife illness. I currently live in Thailand and work for Six Senses in there environmental department. Living in Thailand has sent me bird crazy, and Im so happy to hear to saw the species you did and got a 'tick'. On behalf everyone at Six Senses and Evason Hua Hin, we wish you all the best and send you our warmest regards.
Rik

Hi Rik,

Would we have bumped into you there?

Can't praise the Evason staff enough for all they did for us, way above and beyond the usual service. Had our misadventure happened at any other place we would have been in dire straights, without doubt. We will be writing on TripAdvisor and to the hotel about how wonderful they were - though I hope we gave them plenty of feedback at the time.

In particular those who accompanied us to hospital, to the airport (six hours round trip), who re-planned transport and liaised with airlines, hospitals, etc.

We even had the Thai dancers put on a special show, at the manager's behest, in our room as Mrs.H couldn't get out at the time. The list is endless, and by the time we left we felt that we had made many friends at the hotel amongst the staff.

This was the main reason to go back to the hotel for our third time - having had two previous visits made special by the staff there. The green credentials and approach are another reason to choose the Evason, too, of course.

H

Hi Rik,

Would we have bumped into you there?

Can't praise the Evason staff enough for all they did for us, way above and beyond the usual service. Had our misadventure happened at any other place we would have been in dire straights, without doubt. We will be writing on TripAdvisor and to the hotel about how wonderful they were - though I hope we gave them plenty of feedback at the time.

In particular those who accompanied us to hospital, to the airport (six hours round trip), who re-planned transport and liaised with airlines, hospitals, etc.

We even had the Thai dancers put on a special show, at the manager's behest, in our room as Mrs.H couldn't get out at the time. The list is endless, and by the time we left we felt that we had made many friends at the hotel amongst the staff.

This was the main reason to go back to the hotel for our third time - having had two previous visits made special by the staff there. The green credentials and approach are another reason to choose the Evason, too, of course.

H

H,

Im freelance employed by Six Senses as a writer in their environmental department. I am working on their new eco-website right now and live in Bangkok where their headquarters are. I will make sure your appreciation is past on to the staff at Hua Hin, but unfortunatly I rarely get to see the resorts so we would not have met.

I have been lucky to have been privy to essentially all of Six Senses work, and I can assure you they are the most ethical and environmentally sound company I have ever known (and I used to work for Vestas Wind Technology). They have some truly wonderful projects all over the world, that have nothing to do with eco-tourism, but are concerned with humanitarian and conservation work.

This year (and this is a bit of inside knowledge) they will begin one of the biggest reforestation projects in asia, which will be managed to become a huge nature reserve, self perpetuated by encouraging as many bird species as possible to carry out natural seed dispersal. I am somewhat excited.

Eva and Sonu the co-owners (Eva-son/Son-eva) are obsessed with the environment, and their staff are selected and encouraged to be be as caring and selfless as possible. Its such an original way to work and run a company, so unlike what Ive seen in the UK!

Alas my time here is nearly through, I am returning to Wales in may to live on a sustainable farm and do voluntary work for the RSPB (hopefully one day working for them or the like). Ive done a little birding in north Thailand, roughing it in Maehongson for a few weeks. Such a wonderful country filled with wonderful people. But writing about environmental issues is like watching football - I'd rather play!

Im so glad the staff at Hua Hin took good care you and your wife, ill make sure they are given their dues for it. All the best.

Rik

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back