• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Optic History (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am interested in the history of the Swarovski optic line, and that
would include spotting scopes.

I have found Europa with the history of Zeiss and Leica, and
also I have found a Nikon list of optics and what year they were
introduced.

Is there a similar list of the Swarovski models with model year
introductions ?

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I do not know of such a list but that Austrian brand is a little reticent about its first binoculars, made for the German military during WWII.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur:

It is well known the German brands, Zeiss and Leica were providers of optics
for Germany in both WW I and WW 2. Nikon was also a maker when Japan was
at war during WW 2. The history of some military optics is a hobby all of its own,
with naval, u-boat, foxhole and many interesting styles and types used. In the US
there are many different makers, building to spec.

The war efforts called for the best optics that were available.

I was asking the question about Swarovski and the history of their optics.

Jerry

Jerry,

Go to one of our sites: swarovskiverrekijkers.com and on the top right side you click on HISTORIE. It's in Dutch (sorry mate) but you could try what Google translation makes of it.

We had a similar one for "blue", but that's real history.

Jan

Jerry,

Go to one of our sites: swarovskiverrekijkers.com and on the top right side you click on HISTORIE. It's in Dutch (sorry mate) but you could try what Google translation makes of it.

We had a similar one for "blue", but that's real history.

Jan

Hello Jan,

Thanks for the post. I see that it included their wartime production.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Jan,

Thanks for the post. I see that it included their wartime production.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Arthur,

Yes, that was the period they learned the mass production. It was the choice every optic/technical brand was given by the Nazi's: produce or being dismantled.
Like Johan Cruijff said: ëvery disadvantage has its advantage.
Round '38 Swarovski made their first 6x30 Habicht (they already made millions spectacle glasses).
Where do you base your opinion on, that they are reluctant to admitt this, because I have never experienced any reservations over this issue from their side.

Jan

Hello Arthur,

Yes, that was the period they learned the mass production. It was the choice every optic/technical brand was given by the Nazi's: produce or being dismantled.
Like Johan Cruijff said: ëvery disadvantage has its advantage.
Round '38 Swarovski made their first 6x30 Habicht (they already made millions spectacle glasses).
Where do you base your opinion on, that they are reluctant to admitt this, because I have never experienced any reservations over this issue from their side.

Jan

Hello Jan,

Either in their publications or on a web site, I recall reading nothing about the war years.
The Leitz story, during WWII, was a little different, but I will PM.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Arthur,
The binocular production during WW-2 by Swarovski was very limited as compared to the production by Zeiss, Leica, Schneider and a number of other large German binocular and telescope producers. I consisted for a great part of 6x30 porro binoculars and production of it lasted until the end of april 1945. I will give Jan van Daalen my power point presentation of the "History and quality development of Swarovski optik from 1935 to the present time" which I presented during the meeting of the Binocular History Society in Jena in 2011, so it can be put on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. The presentation was in English,so you do not need Googe translate.
Gijs

Dear all,
My power point presentation of the : "History and quality development of Swarovski Optik" is now present on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. It is in English, so accessible to a lot of readers. Google the title and you will find it.
Gijs

Gijs,

Another well done from this side of the Atlantic. I enjoyed that. Thanks to Jan for posting it in his site.

Last edited:
I finally found it, great job Gijs!! I see that the 7x30SLC & 8x30SLC started in 1985, so my 7x30SLcompact could of been bought by me in 1985, I think it was 1986. I saw a picture in my search of the Swarovski History by Gijs of the same box my Swarovski 7x30 SLC came in and picture that looked exactly like the 7x30 I had. The box looked like this picture.

Attachments

• swaro 8x30 cropped.jpg
    swaro 8x30 cropped.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 121
Fine work!
I learned a lot from the Swarovski history Gijs has so lovingly put together.
Do note it is a 25meg download, so best for broadband links here in the US.

The astonishing part is how small this wonderful shop is, less than 1000 people make Swarovski Optics happen!

Gijs

Highly interesting and entertaining, its a top job! :king:

Thanks to Jan for hosting it on his website.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back