• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no 8x56 or 10x56 SLC HDs in U.S.? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

I can't seem to get a reason from Swarovski on why they refuse to import the new 8x56 & 10x56 SLC HDs into the U.S. They seem to be available only in Europe. Called Swarovski customer service--no reason given except that they are not big sellers. Tried to order one from proudpapa 65 at one time figuring he tends to stock some of the Swaro porros & draw tubes, but he can't get them even by special order. Only the 15x56 SLC HDs are available here.
What gives? Dale Forbes or Clay Taylor, do you have any clue on the exclusion of the U.S. market? 8/10x56 may not be a big market, but they would sell--is it that they have given that piece of the action to the Zeiss 8/10x56 FLs ($2400 range) & the Zeiss 8/10x54 HTs ($2500 range)? Based on the U.S. pricing of the Swaro 15x56 SLC at $2499, the 8/10x56 SLCs would fall into that $2400-$2500 price range and be competitive. What gives?

Well, you could try Orniwelt.
Their German prices would correspond to €1634 and €1679 for 8x56 and 10x56 respectively without sales tax.
You would of course have to pay shipping and your own import duty.
If Orniwelt are unwilling to export and you are still determined, you could PM me and I could enquire with two local dealers.

John

Their German prices would correspond to €1634 and €1679 for 8x56 and 10x56 respectively without sales tax.
If Orniwelt are unwilling to export and you are still determined, you could PM me and I could enquire with two local dealers.

John

John,

Would Swaro consider the SLCs from Europe "gray market" and not cover them under their warranty? That's the way it works with the Nikon EII. Nikon only sells them in Europe and Asia, for some reason, but you can buy them from Japan and Hong Kong, however, then they are considered "gray market," and they won't be covered under Nikon's 25-year warranty or No Fault Policy.

The Nikon rep I spoke with asked me the serial #, and she could tell from the number that it was not made for the U.S. market.

Brock

Brock,

That's conceivable but, in view of Swarovski's service reputation, I think unlikely.

John

We had once a couple from Australia on honeymoon with a broken EL. We gave them a spare one, send their bin to Austria for repair and the next switch was in Australia.
This is how Swarovski earned its reputation.
So I have to agree with John.

Jan

Jan

You can't go around spreading stories like that! :smoke:

Don't you realise how unfair it is to reveal how excellent the Swaro aftersales service is? :eat:

Some people will think you are biased towards Swaro, and we can't have that :-O

Lee

Jan

You can't go around spreading stories like that! :smoke:

Don't you realise how unfair it is to reveal how excellent the Swaro aftersales service is? :eat:

Some people will think you are biased towards Swaro, and we can't have that :-O

Lee

LOL......

Maybe after next week I will walk with my head in the blue sky.....

John

John, thanks for the pricing (minus VAT), works out to $2,215 US, not including shipping, customs?, other charges that might be included. Main concern would be if Swarovski would honor a US warranty on binos shipped from Europe. I got the feeling that Swarovski North America would say no. It would be a lot easier for Swarovski to allow special order on their 8/10x56 SLCs to the US, for those few people like myself & Henry Link who would love to have that option over the Zeiss 8/10x56 & the new Zeiss 8/10x54 that apparently has issues according to Kimmo. Are there any European reviews on the 8x56 SLCs? Anyone speak to using one?

John, thanks for the pricing (minus VAT), works out to $2,215 US, not including shipping, customs?, other charges that might be included. Main concern would be if Swarovski would honor a US warranty on binos shipped from Europe. I got the feeling that Swarovski North America would say no. It would be a lot easier for Swarovski to allow special order on their 8/10x56 SLCs to the US, for those few people like myself & Henry Link who would love to have that option over the Zeiss 8/10x56 & the new Zeiss 8/10x54 that apparently has issues according to Kimmo. Are there any European reviews on the 8x56 SLCs? Anyone speak to using one?

If Swarovski is not selling this line in the US, chances are they would
not have all the parts for some repairs. That means they would have
to go back to Austria. I do think a warranty would be in place no matter
where they were purchased.
I am just speculating however.

Jerry

Henry Link at the Zeiss site echoed the same concerns about the Zeiss 8/10x54 that Kimmo had stated earlier, with a more detailed report from Henry to follow. I called Swarovski North America to inquire as to the reasoning of not bringing in the 8/10x56 SLCs. They said it would be a 'patent infringement' if they brought it into the U.S., no further details given. I asked if Swarovski would honor a warranty on the 8/10x56 if they were brought in from Europe--the reply was that it would be honored on the European warranty, but not under the U.S. warranty. Any repairs/issues would require it being sent back to Austria.

Last edited:
Henry Link at the Zeiss site echoed the same concerns about the Zeiss 8/10x54 that Kimmo had stated earlier, with a more detailed report from Henry to follow. I called Swarovski North America to inquire as to the reasoning of not bringing in the 8/10x56 SLCs. They said it would be a 'patent infringement' if they brought it into the U.S., no further details given. I asked if Swarovski would honor a warranty on the 8/10x56 if they were brought in from Europe--the reply was that it would be honored on the European warranty, but not under the U.S. warranty. Any repairs/issues would require it being sent back to Austria.

Usually, European warranty periods aren't as long for the same bins sold in the U.S. (typically 10 years). They may also not cover the same level of repairs. Better check the European warranty before ordering.

As to the patent infringement, could that be because the SLCs use Abbe-Koenig prisms like Zeiss's 54 HTs and 56 FLs?

Optyolyth Royals also use Abbe-Koenig prisms, but so few are sold in the U.S. that they hardly constitute any competition for Zeiss, but Swaro certainly does.

Brock

I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of a patent infringement would apply to the 8&10x56 SLC's but not to the 15x56 SLC. These three binoculars are probably close to identical except for their eyepieces, and there is little reason to think there would be any mechanical differences.

Maybe there really are differences that cause a patent issue with two of the three, but to me this sounds more like a marketing decision.

Kimmo

Maybe Swarovski is just bring in the 15x56 for the Long Range hunting market, and feel the 8x56 and the 10x56 would not do that well. Most birders feel a 56mm is to heavy to carry around.

Mike

I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of a patent infringement would apply to the 8&10x56 SLC's but not to the 15x56 SLC. These three binoculars are probably close to identical except for their eyepieces, and there is little reason to think there would be any mechanical differences.

Maybe there really are differences that cause a patent issue with two of the three, but to me this sounds more like a marketing decision.

Kimmo

The only difference between the 8/10x56 SLC & the 15x56 SLC is that the 15x56 has 26 optical elements, while the 8/10x56 have 24. Zeiss makes only the 8x/10x in their alpha Victory FL & HT lines, not the 15x. Sounds like a 'gentleman's agreement' between Zeiss & Swarovski in the 56x market. Interesting that the patent issues are only in North America, not in Europe!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back