• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So .... where should we go next Christmas? (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
We want to go somewhere warm - hot. Not The Gambia, Sri Lanka or Goa. And probably not Thailand. Suggestions, please! Doesn't have to for Christmas itself. more December - January.

Thanks.

Ah, I didn't read your post properly first. Kerala is a very nice birding destination: Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, Munnar, Peryiar. Good birds, friendly people, definetely a warm place (as long as you don't stay to long in the mountains).

André

Last edited:
Thank you for these three suggestions. Can you give me any info on Ghana, please, Alf?

Kerala is on my list of places to visit but I will have to look and see how different the bird life is there.

South America is vast! Lots of places we would like to go to there but not sure about best time of year to go or safest place... Going to Cuba next month. Can't wait!

Oh, dear. OH says "no" to Ghana because it's too big and the birds are the same as in The Gambia. I know they aren't but never mind. We could always revisit our plans for Ecuador + Galapagos/Brazil (Regua and area)though I would prefer both of these at a different time of year. Due to insomnia last night, I spent much of my time reading bird reports of South American countries and am tempted by the Pantenal, Costa Rica and Chile! But then, everywhere sounds good! Not enough tme, not enough money!

I uploaded a trip report for Chile a while back, and am working on one for Costa Rica, which we visited in this past Christmas (327 species in about 16 days, with several more to go if you can travel around further). I have previously done Panama at the same time of year with a similar result (report here in BF). All of those will be good. I am sure the same is the case for several of the other options mentioned, and Peru probably also need to be mentioned. I also loved Australia as a traveling country, and at that time of the year, I believe it will be hot everywhere (I have only been there July/August).

Niels

Thanks, Niels

I will have a look at your reports and look forward to reading the one on Costa Rica. 327 species... wow!!!

We are saving Australia for when we have more time available than a fortnight ....... my husband has to work hard to pay for these trips! :)

I have just finished my report on Sri Lanka. It's only 30 pages long! I think I had better write a shortened version!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back