• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS lenses with Nikon cp4500? (1 Viewer)

davidfree

David Free
This may be a silly question, but is there an adapter that will enable me to use my canon EOS lenses with a cp4500 (not yet purchased)?
I have 400mm f5.6 lens and 2x teleconverter that would, I feel, produce good results if I can couple with a cp4500.
Sorry if this sounds naive. All advice welcomed.
David

There used to be an adaptor to convert a tele lens into a 'scope but I've not seen it advertised recently. I don't know if it was ever made in EOS fitting.

It would turn a 400mm lens into a 40x scope so you wouldn't need the 2x as well. I believe the quality was reasonable but the depth of field was narrower than an equivalent scope.

I've never seen one 'in the flesh' so I don't know if they had the wide diameter of modern eyepieces which is crucial for vignette-free digiscoping.

Thanks for your responses gentlemen. Maybe someone else will come up with something. Maybe I can fashion one myself: probably not, I'm not all that practical.
Cheers
David

Hi David

I recently ordered a step ring from SRB film, here in the uk & with it came a catalogue basically they make all sorts of mounts/couplings for cameras etc including to your own design.

Regards Steve.

Many thanks Steve, for your timely advice (I arrive in London Friday for a short visit). I am in cantact with SRB, who seem to have a very comprehensive range of equipment.
Wishing you good birding.
Cheers
David

The device to which I refered earlier in this thread was not one of the usual SRB-type coupling units. It was a commercially available optical device similar to a 'scope eyepiece.

It was available under the 'Vivitar' brand name and no doubt other 'badge-engineered' names, as well. If it's still around it will most likely be marketed by somebody like 'Kenko' or 'Hama,' etc.

davidfree said:
This may be a silly question, but is there an adapter that will enable me to use my canon EOS lenses with a cp4500 (not yet purchased)?
I have 400mm f5.6 lens and 2x teleconverter that would, I feel, produce good results if I can couple with a cp4500.
Sorry if this sounds naive. All advice welcomed.
David

David,

If you are interested in some experiments I have done along this line, send me an email at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back