• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Cameraland NY Mystery Binocular (1 Viewer)

PROMASTER INFINITY ELX 65MM ED scope

I note here

http://promaster.com/products/produ...Scopes&sm=sm2_602&dir=&page=PROD&product=1180

They are making an ED scope too: the "PROMASTER INFINITY ELX 65MM ED"

This I just discovered also. I do not yet own a scope, and after reading the high praise about the Promaster ... bins, when I spotted the scope, I was immediately captivated --thus far, in researching possible scopes for purchase, I have been captivated by those somewhat out of my budgetary reach. But this one is affordable, at $799.99, not too big, and if it can be as highly rated as the binoculars, then I'd say it's the one for me in the (maybe) not too distant future.

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THEM AND CAN PROVIDE EVALUATION?

Thank you,
Marie

You can actually get a Pentax 65mm body for some 500. Then you can buy any brand astronomy eye pieces for a few hundred.

The ad says nothing about the eye piece. If it is built in, then you are stuck with that. Many people move on to a fixed size, not zoom, eye piece for nice wide views.

Marie,

I just got off the telephone with CameralandNY. I'll have a Promaster Spotter for review in about a week. The scope in in transit to the first reviewer now. His posts will show up in the Hunting Optics Forum at the 24 Hour Campfire. I will post there as well as here. Doug at CNY says they are the real deal just like the ELX binocular. Depending on how curious you are, he's a terrific dealer, but I don't know what sort of shipping/exchange hassles exist going to where you are.

The real objection to the Promaster is they are new and most people know nothing about Promaster. However from what I have seen of the Binocular and from talking to the dealer, who has a loooonnnnngggg time relationship with Promaster, I for one am less worried.

Last edited:
Marie:

FrankD I believe is going to try one. Or at least he said he was ... but then again I haven't been reading the Scopes forum recently.

And you might get a better response in the Scopes parts of the forum ... I just mentioned it here for the Promaster and Mystery Binocular context. Both are ED.

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THEM AND CAN PROVIDE EVALUATION?

Thank you,
Marie

Ditto on Steve's comments. I am on the review list as well though I don't know the order of who is getting it when. Coincidentally I was on the phone with CLNY this morning and did confirm that the scope will be making the rounds starting this week.

I was considering also picking up one of the non-ED Promaster Elites but was talked out of it. It is reported to have similar optics to that of the Vortex Diamondbacks. Since they are selling for less at the moment I was turned in that direction.

I was considering also picking up one of the non-ED Promaster Elites but was talked out of it. It is reported to have similar optics to that of the Vortex Diamondbacks. Since they are selling for less at the moment I was turned in that direction.

Interesting. Did Doug talk you out of that?

And are you getting a Diamondback. I'd like to hear your comments on that bin (just to see how it matches with mine).

Interesting. Did Doug talk you out of that?

And are you getting a Diamondback. I'd like to hear your comments on that bin (just to see how it matches with mine).

Yes, actually he did which makes me pay attention as he obviously stood to benefit if I had purchased the more expensive model.

FWIW, I did have the 8x42 Diamondback earlier this year but returned it. Hopefully I will have better luck with the newer unit.

I will let you know.

Tero, I appreciate your comments and will keep them in mind.

Steve, Kevin and Frank, Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will be keeping my eyes open for the reviews!

Marie

Marcus, (and any other new Promaster owners)

I want to add a word of caution regarding the very first impression of the Promaster. I was reminded of this by a post on another forum where the fellow said he wasn't impressed with them.

My first impression was on the negative side and if I was in a well stocked store as the fellow in the other post was, I might have passed the Promaster up. I have discussed my two complaints with the Promaster, one the focus rate and direction, and two, the depth of focus. The thing is this, you will accomodate to these very quickly, largely due to the very good image. I had obligated myself to a revierw of the binocular, and as I used it my objections faded pretty quickly. So just a word of caution.

Marie,

You are most welcome.

I notice on the specs it is 28oz..I added a half ounce for the strap ;)
http://promaster.com/products/produ...culars&sm=sm2_601&dir=&page=PROD&product=1187

what would the equivalent Big 3 weigh?

If I had some $1500 to spend, I think I might go for one of the lighter models. Leica is able to make a 42mm at 25 oz, but the rest seem to be 27-30 oz. If I had to pick a Swarovski, I might have to go 8x32 or 8x30. Or even 10x32. I think I would not get a 10x42. The ProMaster does seem like quite a deal even for 10x42. I might look at it some day.

I still need to fully evaluate and learn to bird with my Pentax 10x42.

Last edited:
Hello Tero,

Of course, a user may have to spend time getting acquainted with a binocular and its limitations but I believe in the zen or gestalt approach. The binocular should work for me when I first try it. I can think of two binoculars, which I returned to Eagle, after only two days. One had unacceptable distortions, but it was not made for terrestrial use; while the other seemed to have inferior coatings. On the other hand, there was one binocular whose shortcomings were not apparent to me until I used it for a while. Of course, I refuse to adapt to any idiosyncratic binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back