• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 advice (1 Viewer)

MJ CHALUPSKY

I have a chance to pick up a new set of Pentax 8x32 DCF SP's for less than $350. Is there anything else out there that would be better than them in optical performance in that price range or should I grab these and not look back?

That is a $200.00 saving! I would buy it in a minute! 40% off. I assume it is brand new and has no problems. I don't think you are going to find an equal or better 8 x 32 Roof Prism in the $350.00 price range. Go to www.eagleoptics.com and compare them.
Cordially,
Bob

Eagle Optics, as of yesterday, had brand new Pentax DCF WP 8x32, these are the original Pentax phase coated introduction, on sale for $49.95. Get out your card, get on the phone, order one.

I think they are pretty good at 8x. At 10x, I might have to give the prize to the Vipers, but there is no 8x32 Viper out yet.

When searching around a question ("$100 roofs") here on Saturday I saw that $50 deal.

First of all I though "Wow, Pentax are in the low end market?". Can't be phase corrected then. Check specs: it is. Even has the widest field I've seen on a Pentax.

Then I dismissed it as a typo: must be $149 or $249 or $349 something. Check the Hot Deals and it wasn't there (and still isn't). And it has a funny star in the title too (and the web page isn't quite right either).

Little more research. Ah, it's the model before the SP with different (lesser) coatings to the SP but mechanically similar (the same?). Very interesting. New-old-stock perhaps? And a typo?

Visited again on Sunday. Still there. What the heck. Placed order. Got order number. Got confirmation email.

Waited for a note from a human saying "We're sorry. That was a typo".

That's not arrived yet (at 10am on Monday Pacific Time) but I await the shipping confirmation.

I'll let you know what happens!

Last edited:
I called EO this morning and asked if price was an error. They checked and said no, their buyers got a great deal, so I placed my order over the phone. Just got an email giving the UPS shipping number so it was real.

Back to the OP's question ;)

Where did you find that deal? Seems rather good. The Pentax SP has a good rep here (though I've never owned one).

Google shows a couple even cheaper.

17photo.com in NYC. I'm always wary of the NYC and especially Brooklyn photo/optics shops with low prices. Never dealt with these people but they're in Manhattan, say they're an authorized dealer and not grey market and they have links to BBB on their site. They're 10/10 on resellerratings.com. I see they're closed over the next two days though (for Rosh Hashanah, I think).

http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=62619
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/17th_Street_Photo

I have no association with them in any way.

Back to the OP's question ;)

Where did you find that deal? Seems rather good. The Pentax SP has a good rep here (though I've never owned one).
Search Amazon.com. I think my DCF SP 8x32 was $313, and the ED version I got more recently was $488.35.
I believe the DCF SP is still listed at $329, currently. From a google search, the low price leader appears to be Taaffe Photo, which to my understanding is a place that has changed names several times, and has a horrible reputation.

Here's the link to the DCF SP on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-DCF-SP-8x32-Binocular/dp/B000093TVO

btw, I looked for the 8x32 WPs(for $50 why not?!?), and while they were gone, I still couldn't resist the 7x50 PCF WP:D

That Amazon link is an Amazon marketplace for 17th St Photo the one I pointed to (so if anything did go wrong they'ed go to bat for you). Seems like they're the cheapest reliable place on the net right now.

You'll be able to beat off the 'gators with the Marine Pentax next time you're out on the water ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back