• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

525' at 1000 yards bins (1 Viewer)

I have a pair of Jason/Empire 7X35 model 266 that are over 25 years old that are out of collimation a little aka you have to put both thumbs against the bottom of the eyepieces

I always like the 525' at 1000 yards wide angle bins compared to my Bushnell Falcons 420' at 1000 yards.

My question is can 525's still be found in the USA?

Thanks, RMP

Last edited:
1/3 of my binocular collection is ultrawides. The Nikon 7x35 Action/extreme is rated at 498ft/1000yds or 9.8~ Actual FOV and for a $59 bin is pretty good (although the 9.3 degree Nikon Gold Ring or Black RIng 7x35 is perhaps better, but sells for much more used). The Kronehof 7x35 is rated at 561ft/1000yds Actual FOV (11 degree FOV). It sells at Scope City for about $79. The Miyauchi 5x32 is in theory an ultrawide but with very low magnification (673ft/1000yds or 13.2 degree FOV). These are currently produced models that you might want to check out along side the Barska et al models above. There are some super wide 8x30s still being made as well, but the oldies often had much wider fields of view.

In my collection I have a 7x35 binocular made for Korvettes during the early 70s with a 13 degree FOV that is fully coated. It is truly a "space walk" device. Jason made a 7x50 Statesman with a 526ft/1000yd FOV (10.5 degrees) that was excellent and also fully coated during this same time period. A 9.5 degree FOV was common for 8x30s and an 8 degree FOV was possible in 10x bins until the mid-70s.

Fan Tao has a pair of Zeiss Deltarems with an astounding 90 degree FOV in his website. The eyepiece was just so expensive to produce that the market wouldn't buy the final product, but being a modified ortho eyepiece with one aspherical element it was very sharp, and in the age of CNC machine polishing/shaping it seems more feasible now.

http://home.att.net/~binofan/WABino.pdf

KSBird: you didn't meantion any of the Russian 7x30s which get a FOV in this region (IIRC).

Tero mentioned the Konus which is one of the brand names they use. They're prescence here doesn't seem to be to prominant.

My question is can 525's still be found in the USA?

Thanks, RMP
I don´t know if you can still get them in the US, but my Nikon EII 8x30´s have FOV of 8.8 degrees. I think someone on another thread said they´re still readily available in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back