• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying bird by call (1 Viewer)

Nitrhog

|!| Hello from the central part of Eastern Arkansas (40 miles west of Memphis). For the past couple of nights, my wife and I have been kept awake by the sound of a bird we have not been able to identify. It calls ALL NIGHT LONG to another bird with the same call in the distance. The calls are about 3 seconds apart and my best translation of the call would be "CHUCK..SHIRRL.SHIRRL". Any help from you experts is much appreciated.

Hi Nitrhog and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Could be a Mockingbird or it could even be frogs. Yes, tree peepers can fool you and their calling back and forth can go one all night. ;)

My husband and I spent half an hour last Sunday evening trying to locate the strange bird outside by the pone - extremely loud and persistent and calling all night long. We finally realized it was a spring peeper - we just didn't recognize it because we'd never heard just one alone. Felt really stupid after listening to the same recording KCFoggin send you.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I listened to the soundfile and it is definitely not a frog. The call sounds like it could come from a mockingbird (based on pitch and level) but I was not aware that a mockingbird would stick to one call for that long. Thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back