• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Well reliable is up for question (just ask Jim :-O), but you can try magicseaweed for longer term wind forecasts. The Met office pressure charts are better if you know how to read them and cover larger land/sea areas.

I am afraid the weather is set for Westerlies as far as I/they can see :-C

Ahem, "strong north westerlies in the Wirral", cough, cough.

http://xcweather.co.uk/ is pretty good, they're all OK really but it can always change the closer you get.

Westerlies this week.

EDIT: Magicseaweed and the metoffice both predicting strong northerlies/northwesterlies blowing down into the North Sea from next Tuesday* bringing patches of rain. Think I might get the garden sorted for winter this weekend while it's quiet and dry! Little Auks next week?

*This is a long range forecast and subject to change.

Last edited:
Ahem, "strong north westerlies in the Wirral", cough, cough.

http://xcweather.co.uk/ is pretty good, they're all OK really but it can always change the closer you get.

Westerlies this week.

EDIT: Magicseaweed and the metoffice both predicting strong northerlies/northwesterlies blowing down into the North Sea from next Tuesday* bringing patches of rain. Think I might get the garden sorted for winter this weekend while it's quiet and dry! Little Auks next week?

*This is a long range forecast and subject to change.

I am sure those that connected with a Wilson Petrel agreed :-O

Flamborough

80 pink footed geese south over syke plantatiopn at 2.15 pm , 1 goldcrest , 1 spotted flycatcher in our garden this afternoon

This is the age...

today...took the train to Wombwell and walked to Edderthorpe Flash via Wombwell Ings and back then onto Old Moor and returned to Wombwell by the TPT..

in the fields and hedges between Wombwel and Edderthorpe
10 grey partridge, 2 green woodpeckers, 2 willow tits, 3 buzzards overhead aand a 3 foot grass snake underfoot

prolonged views of the spotted crake on the east bank of the flash and a rather charming egyptian goose..not easy to see in Yorks!

Old Moor held the usual gang of waders repeatedly flushed by up to 3 sparrowhawks quartering the reserve as well as a phantom peregrine..

took me back to being 15 again doing the "mecca" by bus in those days coast a mere 2p fare anywhere in South Yorks. £4.10 return on the train today and there so much habo to walk through between the dearne valley reserves I can recommend it..

do I get my free pass now jimmy?

Edderthorpe Flash

Could anyone be good enough to tell me exactly where Edderthorpe Flash is? as i hear so many good reports a lately such as an ordanace survey grid reference or some good directions, iknow Old Moor well enough
Thanks

today...took the train to Wombwell and walked to Edderthorpe Flash via Wombwell Ings and back then onto Old Moor and returned to Wombwell by the TPT..

in the fields and hedges between Wombwel and Edderthorpe
10 grey partridge, 2 green woodpeckers, 2 willow tits, 3 buzzards overhead aand a 3 foot grass snake underfoot

prolonged views of the spotted crake on the east bank of the flash and a rather charming egyptian goose..not easy to see in Yorks!

Old Moor held the usual gang of waders repeatedly flushed by up to 3 sparrowhawks quartering the reserve as well as a phantom peregrine..

took me back to being 15 again doing the "mecca" by bus in those days coast a mere 2p fare anywhere in South Yorks. £4.10 return on the train today and there so much habo to walk through between the dearne valley reserves I can recommend it..

do I get my free pass now jimmy?

I saw a massive grass snake at Wombwell the other day - a first for me.

Could anyone be good enough to tell me exactly where Edderthorpe Flash is? as i hear so many good reports a lately such as an ordanace survey grid reference or some good directions, iknow Old Moor well enough
Thanks

There is a good map from Pete Mella in post 8928. Well I hope its good as I am going to use it on Saturday morning to check out this long staying crake ;) It must have been there nearly three weeks now? Hope it stays another two days...

Thanks

Directions to Edderthorpe from Old Moor:

Leave Old Moor car park and drive along the exit road out of the main gate and to the first small roundabout. Turn right here and then go to the next roundabout. Turn right again at this one. Travel along here until you reach the next roundabaout and go straight across. Again, go until the next roundabout and at this one take the first left. travel along here for a short distance and you will reach another small roundabout which you need to go straight across at. Now you just need to keep your eye out for a large layby on your left. You can see Edderthorpe Flash from the road from here. Park in the layby and then drop down to the track below. Head left and eventually you will come to a 'viewing bench'. The last time I personally saw the crake was about 25 yards to the right of the bench but doubtless there will be one or two there who will give you a more recent update.

Good luck !!

Edderthorpe

Many thanks for that and good luck for Saturday looks like my lucks out at work all weekend so i have to wait whilst at least Monday

Edderthorpe

Thanks ever so much Simmo hope its still there next week but knowing my luck lol, the only luck i have had of late of reported birds was the Great Grey Shrike near+ Stanage Edge and the Kittiwake on Orgreave

Had a walk around my long neglected patch yesterday comprising of Wharncliffe Wood, Heath and the Crags and ended up with a long list of sightings including;

Chaffinch, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Blue Tit, Pheasant, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Wren, Long Tailed Tit, Tawny Owl, Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, Crossbill, Goldfinch, Kestrel, Red Legged Partridge. The River Don section also gave a few Mallard and 2 Dippers.

Hoping to see the Stonechats but missed out on those.

Not a bad day out really !!

Field craft

Is the size of brain directly linked to the size of lens.

Saw these three out on the mud in front of a hide where the waders feed.

Would love to know the reason or can any one come up with the excuse they may have given if asked.

Attachments

• field craft.JPG
    field craft.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back