• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye Strain with new bino! - Only a adjustment problem? (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody!

I received today by amazon a Nikon Monarch 5 8x42. All the features are amazing with these binoculars, the optics, the robust design, etc.

After a lot of time of test them, I started to feel something that I didnt want to: Eye strain!! Specially the left eye. I felt my eyes squeezed and tired.

I tried the interpupillar distance and the diopter adjustement, all the ways. Do I have something with my eyes? Came the binocular misaligned? Do I make something wrong while using them?

Please please someone help me! Maybe the problem is that I tried to much to adjust them with the diopter, but I think there is not so much science on it.

Thanks

It could be an eye muscle problem, or difficulty keeping both eyes giving the same view.
Or a binocular problem.
Either in the binocular or in the binocular adjustments you make. Or eye positioning.
Or a combination of all.

eye strain

In my opinion, eye strain is nearly always caused by slight misalignment.
It is not unusual for a new binocular, especially if supplied by post, to be out of collimation. A little horizontal error can be compensated for by our brain but even a tiny vertical error will cause eye strain.
I run a repair workshop for optical instruments so have years of experience.]

If you can look at a bright star this evening when it gets dark, there's an easy test you can do to detect alignment problems.

Focus the star to a point as much as you can. Then take the binoculars away from your eyes and turn the diopter setting on the right eyepiece completely to the + side, right to the end of its range. Do not change the main focus setting.

Look again at the bright star, you will now see a superimposed image of the point-like star and a completely defocused blob of light. The closer the point star is to the center of the blob, the better. If the star is not on the blob at all, the collimation error is severe.

Another test that does not require clear, dark skies is this.

Do you have a window that is split into 4 or more small windows by vertical and horizontal window frames?

If you do, stand back from the window and look at where a vertical frame crosses with a horizontal one. The vertical frame above the horizontal one and the vertical frame below it should be in the same line. If the top one and bottom one appears to be a little to one side of the other then you have a collimation problem. The same applies to the horizontal frame. If the left or right 'arms' are a little up or down, in relation to the other then you also have a collimation problem.

In both cases I would speak to the people you bought from and tell them that you want to return it in exchange for another one.

Best wishes Lee

Do you have a window that is split into 4 or more small windows by vertical and horizontal window frames?

If you do, stand back from the window and look at where a vertical frame crosses with a horizontal one. The vertical frame above the horizontal one and the vertical frame below it should be in the same line. If the top one and bottom one appears to be a little to one side of the other then you have a collimation problem. The same applies to the horizontal frame. If the left or right 'arms' are a little up or down, in relation to the other then you also have a collimation problem.

In both cases I would speak to the people you bought from and tell them that you want to return it in exchange for another one.

Best wishes Lee
Can you be more analytical please with this method?

Well, they are just Monarchs! :D You can send them in if they are out of alignment. I had expensive Zeiss Conquests and Nikon Action 8x porros. Both were unpleasant to my eye and the porros gave eye strain. My eyes did not like the objective (front) lenses being further apart. Neither pair was out of alignment.

If you do not like them, can you return them?

Best wishes Lee

Good one Lee. I took out my UV 8x20 BL after a few months and found the view fuzzy. I knew collimation was the issue, but wasn't sure. I followed your advice and tested looking at a window with vertical and horizontal frames. The vertical frame looked fine. The horizontal frame looked smudged like these was an overlap between left and right barrels. When I open and close both my eyes one after the other I can see the horizontal frame shift up and down a little. The vertical frame doesn't shift between the barrels. Individually the view through each barrel is clear. The bins are only nine months old and under Passport warranty. Now I have to see how fast Leica will respond once I call them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back