• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Word Jumble (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Been a little while since I tried one of these, so here goes.

The 66 words in the list below can be arranged (only one way I hope!) into 20 species of bird.

Any hyphenated names will have been split into separate words - eg Long-necked will appear as "Long" and "Necked".

Just for fun, so have a go... and I'll pop back during the weekend to see how you're getting on.

Argus, Bare, Bare, Black, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Brush, Brush, Capped, Chestnut, Comoro, Crested, Duck, Eared, Eared, Eared, Eye, Eye, Eye, Eye, Eye, Finch, Fire, Glossy, Glossy, Glossy, Grand, Grand, Great, Great, Grey, Grey, Heron, Heron, Javan, Madagascar, Madagascar, Monarch, Munia, Owl, Owl, Pheasant, Pond, Red, Reddish, Scops, Seychelles, Seychelles, Short, Shouldered, Shouldered, Southern, Starling, Starling, Throated, Thrush, Trogon, Turaco, Warbler, White, White, White, Winged

:t:

I know some (ok one!) of you are looking at this, but I've just brought it to the top in case you missed it.

Well I've managed these 16 - but I assume some must be wrong, as I've (so far) been unable to make anything sensible out of the remaining words.

Blue Eared Pheasant
Short Eared Owl
Grand Comoro Brush Warbler
Seychelles Scops Owl
Great Argus
Madagascar Pond Heron
Seychelles Grey White Eye
Blue Eared Glossy Starling
Red Shouldered Glossy Starling
White Shouldered Fire Eye
Reddish Winged Bare Eye
Great Blue Turaco
Madagascar Heron
Chestnut Capped Brush Finch
Grand Munia
Javan Grey Throated White Eye

10 right, Annie, 6 need rethinking!

Keep at it...

This is proving a little more tricky than I expected!

Care to give me a clue as to which are wrong .... I'll accept 3 out of the 6 wrong ones (I know you don't want to make it too easy ..... )

Annie

Ok - how about this combination of 17 (you can tell I'm supposed to be reading a very boring report for work tomorrow !!)

Madagascar Pond Heron
Blue Eared Pheasant
Madagascar Brush Warbler
Great Blue Heron
Southern Blue Eared Glossy Starling
Reddish Winged Bare Eye
Great Blue Turaco
Javan Scops Owl
Black Throated Trogon
Grand Comoro White Eye
Grand Munia
Argus Bare Eye
Short Crested Blue Monarch

Last edited:
AnnieW said:
Ok ... supplementary question. Are they all extant ???
That's a fine question. The list I use certainly has Dodo on it, and I know that I have used one or two extinct birds for anagrams.

Truth is, I don't check, so I don't know... but I seem uncommonly good at randomly choosing ones that are sadly no more.

I'll check you new list now...

Madagascar Pond Heron
Great Blue Heron
Grand Comoro Scops Owl
Great Grey Owl
Blue Eared Pheasant
Madagascar Brush Warbler
Southern Blue Eared Glossy Starling
Reddish Winged Bare Eye
Black Throated Trogon
Grand Munia
Argus Bare Eye
Short Crested Blue Monarch
Blue Turaco
Javan White Eye
Seychelles Thrush

Which leaves only the extremely rare & elusive `glossy eared duck'

Hello Birdman,

I just saw this thread this morning and, without looking at AnnieW's try, I gave it my try. I compared them and I ended up with many different birds and some the same.

Here it goes:

Grand Munia
Seychelles Brush-Warbler
Seychelles Grey White-eye
Grand Comoro Scops-Owl
White-shouldered Fire-eye
Argus Bare-eye
Reddish-winged Bare-eye
Chestnut-capped Brush-Warbler
Glossy-black Thrush
Red-shouldered Glossy-Starling
Southern Blue-eared Glossy-Starling
Eared Trogon (I'm wondering on this one since the new name is "Eared Quetzal")
Madagascar Owl
Madagascar Pond-Heron
Short-crested Monarch
Great Blue Turaco
Blue Duck
Javan Grey-throated White-eye
Great Blue Heron

Cheers,
Michael

12 of 19 right for Annie
18 of 19 right for Michael
Still looking for 20 in total!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back