• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haweswater Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

towershot

ugly duckling
Does anyone know if the Golden eagles are at the Haweswater reservoir At Cumbria,in the English Lake District.
Do they migrate ?

I saw it last year and the RSPB staff were brilliant, within 2 minutes of them turning up they had located it on one of its perches (I'd been there half an hour already but hadnt spotted it!)

It was there on April 16th I saw it then soaring around the top of the valley. I believe the RSPB lookout point is only staffed at weekends.
Phil.

And I would strongly advise only going when the RSPB staff are present (i.e. weekends), it can be incredibly difficult to find at rest, you also don't need to cart a scope and tripod all that way because they have them set up.
Stuart

yep he is still present all year around-wardens are present weekends and bank holidays 11am until 3pm

cheers

I was there one weekend earlier in the year and the volunteers were very good at pointing out the male Eagle. Was fortunate to see it flying around the valley for a while.

shame its never had a mate after all these years.

i need a trip up there again, it was always on show when i visited, even scrapped with a peregrine one time.....that was a good day.

Riggindale eagles.

I was in Riggindale on sat to see the Eagle, i did not see him, not surprising really because i was more than a little dismayed at the amount of walkers around the valley, at one time there were about 30 people on the hills around the old nesting area.
The resident male may be used to this but it must be "no way jose" to any newcomer from the wilds of scotland.
The only positives were falcons and raven screaming around the hilltops opposite the old eyeries very close to the fellwalkers.

I might visit the haweswater tomorrow? is there any snow lying around there? Where is there most snowfall lying at the moment in the Lakes?

Haweswater Eagle.

I had a ride to Haweswater today to see the Eagle and had a great time, as has been mentioned before go on a weekend when the wardens are present, they know his habits and perches and will locate him quickly because unless he is soaring above the skyline he will be very difficult to pinpoint.
Anyway when I got there he was on a grass bank eyeing up some deer grazing just below then after about 15 minutes got up and did a few dives and passes around the valley before he disappeared into the distance.
Fantastic.

High streeter

Hawes water Golden Eagle ,I was lucky enough to see him flying on friday last week 17 may.I have seen him a number of times over the years but friday I was able to watch him for quite a while as he flew over my friend and I a couple of times and soared over the 2 valleys each side of Riggingdale Crag as we climbed towards High Street. I dont know how old he is but he must be well into his twenties as I have seen him over a long time. Does any one know his age?

I went up there at the end of August and didn't see a thing.
Can anyone confirm the eagle is still alive..?

Not heard anything to contrary, but when he is not displaying he just sits about on one of his fave perches and might not move for hours. In August without the RSPB volunteers who know all the perches it is frankly pot luck.

Hello there. Could anyone give me any information about where to see starling murmurations in Cumbria please? I'm going to be in the Lake District for New Year and would love to see one.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back