• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to South Africa (1 Viewer)

Corotauria

Dear all,

if everything goes like I hope to, end of the year I am going for a four week birding trip to South Africa. Not my first trip to Africa by the way, but the East African field guide I have does not cover South Africa (doh!). So I am looking for the best Field Guide there is for SA.

I am curious to all experiences and opinions (sites!?!) you have.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rick

I took the SASOL guide (Birds of Southern Africa) with me last year, good book & found it very useful.

I went in August, starting in Hermanus, then Simonstown, then Langebaan, had a great time, fantastic country :)

trip wasn't all for birds but still saw just under 200 species in 10 days inc most of the ones I really wanted to see, site wise guess it depends on where you're staying, if it's anywhere near the above let me know and I'll dig out my notebook, there were some particularly good spots we kept going back to.

Hi Richard,

the trip hasn't planned yet, so we are just checking the possiblities at the moment. Any trip report that can help us in that way is very diserable. So, please do!

Anyway, about the book. I took a look in the SASOL but found the pictures not very detailled. Especially the difficult species groups, like larks, cisticola's, sunbirds perhaps (?), sharp and good pictures are a must (in my eyes...). How did you experienced the pictures?

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick,

We went to South Africa last November. We had 8 nights in Kruger and 6 nights at the Cape. We also used Sasol and didn't find any problems. We also got the 'South African Bird Sounds' CD which Chris found useful, especially for the Cisticola's which seem to have distinctive calls.
We booked the whole trip over the internet, if you want any help/ advice send me a PM (trip report here ). The trip report includes a page on logistics. You should have a fantastic time - we really did enjoy it.

Hope we can be of help

Corotauria said:
Dear all,

if everything goes like I hope to, end of the year I am going for a four week birding trip to South Africa. Not my first trip to Africa by the way, but the East African field guide I have does not cover South Africa (doh!). So I am looking for the best Field Guide there is for SA.

I am curious to all experiences and opinions (sites!?!) you have.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rick

We aren't professional guides. We just love to help birders that want to visit our part of the country in which ever way we can. We are not selling a service or trying to make a bussiness, we just love birds and want to help visitors. Our house is open if you pass through this part of the country.

Greetings,
Casper

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back