• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October week nr Conwy (1 Viewer)

Mark A Spedding

Hello
I'm on a week long family holiday just south of Conwy next month.
Was wondering if anyone has a good site for Dipper at all? Any other North Welsh specialities to look out for? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Pretty much any fast flowing river in North Wales has Dipper, very good region for them! Worth checking Aber Falls which is relatively close to Conwy, also along the river Elwy up and downstream from St Asaph I always see Dipper.

It's worth visiting South Stack on Anglesey for Chough and obviously a visit to Conwy RSPB is a must.

I'd certainly agree with a day out on Anglesey including a visit to South Stack. The Great Orme is of course always worth a visit in the hope of migrants, as well as the scenery. Chough are regular here and a pair regularly roost above the cattle grid on Marine Drive just above West Shore.
Llanfairfechan Prom is worth a check, then a pleasant walk to Glan y Mor Elias and Morfa Madryn, it's worth continuing onto Morfa Aber (Abergwyngregyn) if time and energy allow. http://www.llanfairfechan.org.uk/newsite/for-visitors/about-llanfairfechan/birdwatching/
Caer Hun churchyard in the Conwy Valley (not on a Sun).
Scoter flocks offshore for an elusive Surf Scoter btwn Old Colwyn and Pensarn.
Little Orme for seawatching if winds are NW. Rhos Point high tide for wader roost inc Purple Sands.
Etc etc! Google North Wales Birding and We Bird North Wales.
Have a great hol, i'm sure you will!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back