• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins and squirrels? (1 Viewer)

Themoog

Dear Forum,

My first proper question.

I have an open fronted RSPB birdbox on it's way. Reasoning for this is that we have some nice dense Hebe plants, bamboo etc. on the borders of our garden behind which an open box can be deployed against a fence facing north east at between 1 and 2 metres from the ground (as I understand is best?)

We also have a resident squirrel who's not averse to climbing our (short- 3 meters) fruit trees who is more than confident in snaffling some of the mixed seed mix from a covered bird tray. The Blue/Great tits, Robins and Collared Doves don't appear to be phased by his/her occasional forays but will back off to neighbouring branches within a foot or two until it's clear. It's amazing to watch.

I'm a little worried that a squirrel might see this box as an easy target if it finds it. Will it go for an open nester?
We have a couple of cats too but they're getting on. One isn't interested in chasing wildlife at all and the other isn't the sharpest scalpel in the kit. Neither discovered a Dunnock nest in Ivy two years ago when we had to replace some fencing because of a storm. (To be fair niether did we or we clearly wouldn't have disturbed it) Neither have the ingenuity to reach the proposed site.

The last thing I want to do is invite a bird to nest and potentially place it at risk.

Should I think again?

We also have some of these little rattan roosting pods coming which will be placed much higher in an overhanging tree from next door and other sheltered locations. Just really trying to offer the birds some sheltered vantage points - as well as spotting sites for me.

I'm also aware that this may be pretty late in the year to be rigging new sites but you never know.

Appreciate thoughts
Tm

It ideally needs to be well hidden, which is sounds like yours will be, depending on how far behind the dense shrubs the fence is. The squirrels would go for it if the opportunity arrises, as will any corvid or even great spotted woodpeckers, which is why it needs to be as protected as possible. Certainly not too late to be putting them up, we have seen some birds inspecting potential nest sites already but there's still plenty of time for new homes! Good luck.

As Joe says the squirrel will take the eggs and nestlings of any bird using the box - as will the corvids/woodpeckers mentioned. Hidden is more important than height - most of the natural Robin nests on my land are 1-2m, some only inches, above ground, but the successful ones are always bu**ers to find!

Also as he says, late, but not too late!

Mick

Another option is to put the nestbox inside a larger metal cage with holes large enough to let Robins through but too small to let squirrels through. Not sure what mesh size that would need to be, but the info should be available.

Pleanty of food for thought

Thank you everyone for your insightful replies.

You've given me much to think about.

There is also a lawn and the associated and inevitable lawn mower to consider. Electric not petrol but still would make a lot of noise and disturbance once a fortnight in quite close proximity.

I guess this will also unsettle a potential nester and may scare off an established nest? I honestly don't know how robust and tolerant these little birds will be.

For example, the birds in the front bush by the window will settle and return within 15 minutes if I sit on the of the bed by the window and keep still.

The foxes in central London, where I work, will almost look at you with distain as they pass you by on the pavement as if to say, 'Aren't you going to get out of my way then mate?' Kind of pavement rage-like.
It's clearly not as busy here but it's a suburban/town environment so the birds may be hardier than I give them credit for.

Just don't want to have a breeding pair invest their time and effort in a site that they may have to abandon or lose young ones from. Wouldn't be good at all and would be upsetting. Bit soft when it comes to animals for my sins.

Perhaps one way to look at it is to do the best I can and let nature make it's choices. Will look into a cage or tight wooden lattice surround. That and deep cover may be a good combo.

I'll ponder this further and take your advice on board. I'll report developments as and when they occur.

RSPB annual birdwatching garden pack just dropped through the letterbox. Mrs Themoog and I really looking forward to it.

All the best

Tm

Wouldn't worry about the lawnmower. Just don't start it up first time right next to the box! It's sustained disturbance that's the issue.
Mick

I doubt occasional lawnmower use would have much effect on robins and other common garden birds.

There has been research linking nest failures to nearby bird feeding, because the presence of the food and/or visiting songbirds attracts more predators such as squirrels and corvids (this study). Possibly the nesting pairs might also be stressed by the number of other birds visiting feeders within their territory.

Re: Lawnmowers

Thank you both for putting my mind to rest.

The RSPB diamond open fronted box has turned up along with the rattan roosting pockets (type 1's). The diamond box seems very sturdy and once it has weathered a bit will blend in (although it will be in deep cover and unseen to the casual observer). The little roosting pouches are great too. Can't wait to see if they attract visitors.

All in good order and ready to be deployed. They will go up this weekend with some assistance.

Once they go up the areas they are deployed in will remain undisturbed until anything that may have nested has fledged and moved on.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I'll report back with anything that develops but it will be unlikely in the short to medium term.

All the best

Tm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back