• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Avocet - RSPB Saltholme - which colour ring scheme? (1 Viewer)

IanF

I saw this Avocet yesterday at RSPB Saltholme.

Ring details appear to be -

Left tibia - Large lime above small brown

Right tibia - Small brown above large dark green. Metal on tarsus

It's not a locally ringed bird and I can't see a similar scheme on cr-birding.

Anyone have an idea which scheme it may be from?

I've reported it to the BTO

Attachments

• DSCN3868a.JPG
    DSCN3868a.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN3868b.JPG
    DSCN3868b.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the response.

Not sure that's the scheme though.

Definite large lime and dark green on this bird. No obvious blue ring either which would always be present for that scheme.

Could be. The brown rings are a little odd as well. I don't think anyone uses them as far as I can tell. They could be discloloured.

Hi Ian

We get a few of those H Haven birds locally and I think blue lower on the left tibia is scheme identifier- so your's doesn't look to be one of them. The mystery rings look like they might be grey, which is used a bit on other species so maybe was used on this one?

Last edited:
Thanks. I think the same myself. I've not actually found a scheme where they mix the size of the colour rings.

I've re-sent the sighting to the BTO with a couple of photos. Hopefully they'll get back to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back