• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At least two cases of Avian Botulism on Bolivar Flats Texas - September 16, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Mark B Bartosik

When spending day on the Bolivar Peninsula on September 16 I found at least two cases of Sanderlings affected by Avian Botulism (BoNt neurotoxin). Signs were classical: birds were unable to use their wings and legs normally nor control, to some degree, the neck muscles. Not able to fly or walk they could only crawl using wing tips for support. I spent a lot of time on Bolivar Peninsula over last decade and never found even one case before.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/166222747

As I am not sure about importance about this finding (possible outbreak?) and what is the best organization to contact so I will appreciate if somebody who is knowledgeable would forward this record to the right place if thinks it might be of importance. I tried to notify the USGS National Wildlife Health Center but link is not working. Bolivar Flats are important place for migrating shore birds and seabirds, and home to some endangered species (large number of Piping Plovers spend here most part of the year outside of their breeding grounds)

Best regards,

Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back