• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Atlantic hurricane season (1 Viewer)

Mark,

In addition to Dr. Ivar Giaever there are thousands of well-established scientists that have objected, and continue to object, to the AGW "religion," (including myself) but curiously even collective push-back has never penetrated the tone-deaf main-stream media or much of the general population. This phenomenon has all the makings of a psycho-social addiction, with no intervention therapy available. :king:

Ed

Attachments

• 2010_Senate_Minority_Report.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
Scientists in what field ?
It is difficult to predict weather for the next day. The global warming is prediction for years ahead.
Temperatures grow, but maybe this will be buffered somehow by the Earth and its biosphere ?? And if, when ? In 10 years or in 10 billions of years ? That would be too late.
Or on the contrary, maybe temperatures won't stop grow even after burning out all fuels. Because balance would be achieved much after achieving the maximum carbon dioxide concentration.
So far temperature is growing, what supports the global warming theory. So this is almost certain.
There are another symptoms of degradation of our environment, going on right now, like species extinction, pollution, extinction of ecosystems, like reefs, or their manual removal like in the Amazon, eutrophication of the water by powders for washing. Most of all the ocean phytoplancton produces the oxygen, not forest, so water pollution is deadly danger for us.
Everything disappears from year to year. Wetlands, natural reservoirs, wild shores. This is real for sure.
I wouldn't wear blinkers on the eyes like a horse or mule and focus only on the global warming. This is like doing only one project in the lab. A little risky.

By the way. There is a new strong hurricane and a new very powerful earthquake in the area. In Mexico city this time. Just after one huge hurricane and during new one.
Hurricane Irene: Formed August 21, 2011, Dissipated August 30, 2011. It was moving along the east shore to Virginia and further.
Virginia earthquake: August 23
Virginia is not a typical location where earthquakes occur. That was something extra.

Last edited:
Not in climate science or other relevant field, that's for sure!

Pg. 9-10 of the report says:
The distinguished scientists featured in this new report are experts in diverse fields,
including: climatology; geology; biology; glaciology; biogeography; meteorology;
oceanography; economics; chemistry; mathematics; environmental sciences;
astrophysics, engineering; physics and paleoclimatology. Some of those profiled have
won Nobel Prizes for their outstanding contribution to their field of expertise and many
shared a portion of the UN IPCC Nobel Peace Prize with Vice President Gore.
Additionally, these scientists hail from prestigious institutions worldwide, including:
Harvard University; NASA; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
and the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR); Massachusetts Institute of
Technology; the UN IPCC; the Danish National Space Center; U.S. Department of
Energy; Princeton University; the Environmental Protection Agency; University of
Pennsylvania; Hebrew University of Jerusalem; the International Arctic Research Centre;
the Pasteur Institute in Paris; Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute; the University
of Helsinki; the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S., France, and Russia; the
University of Pretoria; University of Notre Dame; Abo Akademi University in Finland;
University of La Plata in Argentina; Stockholm University; Punjab University in India;
University of Melbourne; Columbia University; the World Federation of Scientists; and
the University of London.

Good luck with the "relevant" argument.

Ed

Last edited:
In addition to Dr. Ivar Giaever there are thousands of well-established scientists that have objected, and continue to object, to the AGW "religion," (including myself) but curiously even collective push-back has never penetrated the tone-deaf main-stream media or much of the general population. This phenomenon has all the makings of a psycho-social addiction, with no intervention therapy available.

Good luck with the "relevant" argument.

"Thousands" of climate scientists and scientists in other relevant fields? Don't think so, not even close. And I see you've added another ad hominem argument to your armory which, unless I've overlooked one, makes 3 altogether--:
1. Climate scientists not real scientists
2. Climate scientists motivated by self-interest (funding, tenure etc) with scant regard for properly conducted scientific research.
3. Acceptance of the scientific consensus on AGW by intelligent laypeople attributable to "psycho-social addiction" (whatever pseudo-science you dredged that choice piece of mumbo jumbo from!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ed. At this stage, I think you're just being stubborn, doubling down on an initial skepticism which has long since hardened into dogmatic denialism.

Last edited:
Hopefully Irma did not cause the extinction of any species. Some areas with endemics were deeply impacted such as the Cuban cayes, Andros Island in Bahamas with the rare Bahamas Oriole, Inugua with a hummingbird, Montserrat with its Oriole and especially Barbuda with was hit especially hard and has a endemic warbler.

With communications from Dominica still at a minimum, my thoughts turned to Niels Larsen, Birdforum's Opus editor, and his wife, Lene, who live (or used to) on the island's northwest coast. Then I thought about the Imperial Parrot and how few their numbers were before the storm.
It will surely be some time before we find out what other species in the Caribbean islands might have been lost.

Steve

With communications from Dominica still at a minimum, my thoughts turned to Niels Larsen, Birdforum's Opus editor, and his wife, Lene, who live (or used to) on the island's northwest coast.
Steve

Is there ANY electronic communication with Dominica yet? Last I heard, Prime Minister Skerrit had been cut off in the middle of a post (on FB?), which was very worrying. Mind you, that was last night, I have not heard anything since.

Peter

... And I see you've added another ad hominem argument to your armory ...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ed. At this stage, I think you're just being stubborn, doubling down on an initial skepticism which has long since hardened into dogmatic denialism.

Ha! "Ad hominem".....that's rich coming from you!

"Hardened into dogmatic denialism"....good lord. :-O

Just saw on the National news here in the UK the delightful Professor Iain Stewart dismissing out of hand any suggestion that there is a link between Geological events (i.e. Earthquakes) and climatic events. If you don't know who he is, look him up on Google. Took me 20 seconds.

"Thousands" of climate scientists and scientists in other relevant fields? Don't think so, not even close. And I see you've added another ad hominem argument to your armory which, unless I've overlooked one, makes 3 altogether--:
1. Climate scientists not real scientists
2. Climate scientists motivated by self-interest (funding, tenure etc) with scant regard for properly conducted scientific research.
3. Acceptance of the scientific consensus on AGW by intelligent laypeople attributable to "psycho-social addiction" (whatever pseudo-science you dredged that choice piece of mumbo jumbo from!).

Fred,

Lightbeam beat me to it. Civil discourse requires that one learn how to disagree without being disagreeable, a skill you have not acquired. An ad hominem attack, such as the one highlighted above, is "... an attack on an opponent's character rather than ... an answer to the contentions made." Here, you boldly admit to having made this very personal and ignorant attack repeatedly, which can only lead to the question ... why? Sadly, it must be apparent to all by now that you have no substantive responses or insights to offer, and for that reason it's questionable whether you really are one of those "intelligent laypeople" you imagine yourself to be. I think not.

You are now on my Ignore List.

Ed

Last edited:
Just saw on the National news here in the UK the delightful Professor Iain Stewart dismissing out of hand any suggestion that there is a link between Geological events (i.e. Earthquakes) and climatic events. If you don't know who he is, look him up on Google. Took me 20 seconds.

Jon,

You might also be interested in the attached article, which addresses the OP's original question. Of course, one never knows where the next IPCC "consensus" will take us or its evidentiary basis.

Can you link or copy Stewart's article?

Ed

Attachments

• Hurricanes not linked to global warming _ Principia Scientific International.pdf
    928.5 KB · Views: 33
You might also be interested in the attached article, which addresses the OP's original question.

A strawman or red herring, take your pick. As far as I can tell, few or no properly credentialed-scientists claim more than the possibility of a connection given the minuscule sample size. Lots of wild talk and jumping to conclusions in the media and the blogosphere, of course, but what does that have to do with "intelligent laypeople" like you and me?

Of course, one never knows where the next IPCC "consensus" will take us or its evidentiary basis.

Back in the ad hominem saddle again, I see, impugning the competence and integrity of scientists not for what they've actually said or done but for what you think they might say or do in the future.

Last edited:

Back in the ad hominem saddle again, I see, impugning the competence and integrity of scientists ...

Weak at best, go back and try again.
"Impugning" is something you're good at; for years you've tried to paint me as some earth-hating, Muslim-hating racist. And you've made a career here out of constantly addressing me as some illiterate backwoods yokel.
What you didn't realize is that with every childish slam you brought yourself down lower and lower. I've stated it before: if someone is so beneath your time and intelligence why the constant berating? Why address me at all?
It is a fact that you've proven to be quite predictable at grabbing at the shiny objects left behind.
Overall, methinks you loathe anyone you vehemently disagree with, particularly those who refuse to see your side of things. Some of us do actually COMPROMISE. We don't fall lock step with Conservatives or the GOP, (or the Dems for that matter) with many enviro-issues. We think for ourselves. But that isn't enough for you.

Many of us often disagree here, but some of these same people have my utmost respect. They choose to banter with a measure of kindness, something you (and many Progressives) simply cannot do. And it is why you have "the unproductive spurt" at the helm.
You are your own worst nightmare. And your violent comrades are further poisoning your future chances at Progressive change.
Ironically, a gift from below.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back