• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flights to St Helena (1 Viewer)

No mention of the costs of the flight. Only one endemic-Wirebird or St.Helena Plover.

Approx EUR 900-1030 return from J'burg, depending on dates.

Would be far better on the boat anyhow, good seabirds ...but the boat is being phased out from February.

Last edited:
The best way to see St Helena is surely on a cruise like the 'Atlantic Odyssey' or similar voyages. You get to spend a couple of days there, enough to see the Wirebird, most of the endemic plants (if you want to) and see the seabirds.

cheers, alan

The best way to see St Helena is surely on a cruise like the 'Atlantic Odyssey' or similar voyages. You get to spend a couple of days there, enough to see the Wirebird, most of the endemic plants (if you want to) and see the seabirds.

cheers, alan

I agree in principle Alan of course but in terms of birds per £, even taking in to consideration the seabirds, a cruise will represent a poor return?

What might you encounter that you have no chance of on a pelagic out of S Africa?

A

I agree in principle Alan of course but in terms of birds per £, even taking in to consideration the seabirds, a cruise will represent a poor return?

What might you encounter that you have no chance of on a pelagic out of S Africa?

A

St Helena Storm-Petrel(s)! Don't forget that on the Atlantic Odyssey you would be arriving from TdC and heading to Ascension, where there are more birds.

I've done both Cape Town pelagics and the Odyssey and the latter is by far the most 'important' of the two for seabirds. I don't think I even got a lifer on the Cape Town trips (Nice trips though - lots of birds).

cheers, a

According to the Oceanwide Expedition's blurb the Atlantic Odyssey won't run after 2018.

Glad I did it last year, fantastic number and variety of seabirds especially between South Georgia and Tristan.

Ian

According to the Oceanwide Expedition's blurb the Atlantic Odyssey won't run after 2018.

Glad I did it last year, fantastic number and variety of seabirds especially between South Georgia and Tristan.

Ian

Both the Odysseys were amazing,and like you I am glad that I did them several years ago.They were real 'seabirdfests',but the expertise on the boats and the islands visited made them unique.It will be a great loss to the birding world if they are discontinued
Tom Lawson.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back