• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: irish bird in July (1 Viewer)

rosario

I am an Italian birder, member of EBN Italia, WWF and LIPU (Italian League for Bird Protection).
I am wondering if you could provide some advice to find some bird on my wishing list.
I am coming to Ireland for a family trip from July 18 to July 27.
During this period I will travel from Dublin to Dublin along the coast to see the most famous touristic places (Glendalough, Dingle Peninsula, Connenmara, Cliff of Mohers, Giant’s Causaway, ecc.).
Since this is a family trip I will not have much time for birding, but I should be able to have some short birding escape.
Could you indicate locations (easy to reach) where would be more “easy” to see (or to hear) the birds in my following wishing list (I understand that most of them are almost impossible to find without an intensive search...)
1) Roseate Tern
2) Artic Tern
3) Puffin
4) Storm Petrel
5) Leach’s Petrel
6) Corncrake
7) Twite
9) Grey Partridge
10) Red Grouse
11) Common Guillemot

Then (not lifer but nice to see): Black Guillemot, Razorbill, various Shearwater species, Ring Ouzel, Rock dove.

Thank for any advice and suggestions
My best regards

Rosario Notaro
Florence (Italy)

Hi
First, get Eric Dempsey's book "Where to watch birds in Ireland" which will give you many good spots on your route.
Puffin & Guillemot : Your flight will probably take you over Island's Eye as you land in Dublin. There are several boats which go out from Howth harbour and take you round the island. Howth is a nice place and can be reached by Dart rail from Dublin in 30mins and the boat trip is fun for all the family. You should see puffin, guillemot and other birds as you go round the far side of the island. There is a good cliff walk at the far southern end of Howth beyond the pier (kittiwake, guillemot, fulmar).
Black Guillemot: Can usually be seen in Dublin city! Walk down the river towards the sea and the Harp shaped bridge. You might also see them at Howth or Port Oriel harbour at Cloghar Head in Louth.
Terns: Sandymount Strand outside dublin (on Dart line) has roosting terns in the evening. Scope required (see book mentioned) though it may be a little early in July.

regards
Paul

Hi
First, get Eric Dempsey's book "Where to watch birds in Ireland" which will give you many good spots on your route.
Puffin & Guillemot : Your flight will probably take you over Island's Eye as you land in Dublin. There are several boats which go out from Howth harbour and take you round the island. Howth is a nice place and can be reached by Dart rail from Dublin in 30mins and the boat trip is fun for all the family. You should see puffin, guillemot and other birds as you go round the far side of the island. There is a good cliff walk at the far southern end of Howth beyond the pier (kittiwake, guillemot, fulmar).
Black Guillemot: Can usually be seen in Dublin city! Walk down the river towards the sea and the Harp shaped bridge. You might also see them at Howth or Port Oriel harbour at Cloghar Head in Louth.
Terns: Sandymount Strand outside dublin (on Dart line) has roosting terns in the evening. Scope required (see book mentioned) though it may be a little early in July.

regards
Paul

Paul,

It is good to read that black guillemots are still in Dublin. In 1990 (and, I think, one other year about that time) I saw black guillemots occupying a drain pipe on the quay by the appropriately named Pigeon House Road; well, appropriate for me, as the Manx name for the black guillemot is calmane marrey, which translates into English as "sea pigeon". I spotted them from the Isle of Man boat as it sailed in and out of the Liffey.

Allen

I've seen them [b guillemot] from the O'Connell st bridge in the middle of the city too.

Other birds
Headlands in Mayo (Kilcummen Head for example) may turn up twite or rock dove and seawatching may turn up anything and everything if the weather is right.
Corncrake may be impossible as they have stopped calling- could be wrong about that though! Young birds in north Donegal, north Mayo possibly or Tory Island off the Donegal coast.
Grey partridge and red grouse are very local and you may need very specific directions (which I don't know).

regards
Paul

Last edited:
In addition to the above replies:

-Roseate Tern: You can see them feeding off Skerries in North Dublin. Listen for the distinctive Sandwich Tern-like calls. You can take a boat out to main colony (skerriesseatours), but it is a bit expensive and you don't land on the island (to avoid disturbance). A few roost on Sandymount during the day.

-Arctic Tern: On the evening (1830 to 2000) of the 21st of July, the South Dublin Branch of BirdWatch Ireland have a tern viewing event at Coliemore Harbour near Dalkey where you are guaranteed to see Arctic Terns.

-Storm Petrel: Best from Carnsore Point in Wexford or around Dingle in Kerry.

-Leachs Petrel + Ring Ouzel: No chance.

-Corncrake: Tory Island in Donegal or Inishbofin in Galway, but they may not be calling anymore and difficult to see in the long grass.

-Twite: A very rare breeding species now and I don't want to mention any particular sites here.

-Grey Partridge: One site in central Ireland, but majority are re-introduced birds.

-Common Guillemot + Razorbill: Common off any Irish coast, eg Skerries or Coliemore.

-Black Guillemot: Coliemore Harbour.

Dear all,
thank for all your advise.

It is a pity than on July 21 I will not be in Dublin: it would have been great to join and meet Irish birders.

I was aware that it would have been difficult to spot grass living birds (Corncrake and Red Grouse) in this period of the year. However, I was not aware that Twite is so rare and localized.

What about Lady's Island Lake for terns? It is outside my planned tour but...

I hope to meet many Irish birders in the field.

Thank you again!
Bye!
Rosario

Coliemore harbour in the evening would still be good after the 21st for arctic tern:).
If you don't have much time and are with your family then lady's island might be hard to do in the time. Dalkey (Coliemore )harbour is easy to reach from Dublin and on the same dart line as Sandymount and dun loirigh pier, which might have manx shearwater too from the end of the pier.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back