• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Eagles with white plastic rings (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
Hi guys

Can anyone advise me about who might have ringed a Spotted Eagle which spent this winter at El Hondo, Spain. I've been in touch with the Estonian eagle project who ringed Tonn (the celebrated GSE which winters every year at the same location). Tonn (currently) wears the ring 7X, this bird wears the ring 7F - which by the strangest of coincidences is Tonn's old ring number!! He lost it in 2010 and was fitted with his new one when he was recaptured at the nest site last year.

I think the Estonian's think I'm pulling their legs!

Surely there can't be many people ringing GSE? It appears to be an adult bird - so was probably ringed at least 4-5 years ago and possibly more.

I have photos and video of the Eagle and while it is clear that it's wearing a white plastic ring on it's left leg it's not possible to read the ring (which was observed by scope).

Here's hoping someone can point me in the right direction :t:

Cheers

Phil

GSE with plastic ring

Here's a picture from distance.

Attachments

• North Gate GSE 18-02 -17 cropped.jpg
    North Gate GSE 18-02 -17 cropped.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 104
Last seen on 24th March afaik. Regularly overwinter October to March- 2013/14 up to 4 reported, 2014/15 - up to 6!! plus 1 LSE, 2015/16 - up to 3 and 2016/17 up to 4 plus 1 LSE.

if you need further details just let me know.

I've put a video of the mystery ringed bird on BF TV - but I don't know how to link it to this thread?

Cheers

Phil

Many thanks Phil, I'll have to look into a trip later in the year.
Would I need access to El Hondo as that is restricted? Or can they be seen from the outside perimeter road?

Hi Nick

Possibly the easiest option would be to check Graham Critchell's site in October to see if Tonn has shown up for his tenth year in a row!

http://www.finesystem.co.uk/birdwatchingcostablanca/sightings.html

Or you can follow Tonn's progress on the Estonian eagle project birdmap site.

If Tonn does return he habitually uses a couple​ of perches visible from the Santa Agueda platforms (at least he has done for the last three years or more). These are outside the restricted area and sometimes afford very close views - Tonn has the additional advantage that his DNA shows him to be a pure GSE so there's no hint of a hybrid spectre over sightings. He's been ringed and been fitted with a satellite transmitter (twice).

The other "nailed on" location is inside the reserve from the North Gate on Saturday mornings which have to be booked in advance - quite straightforward and free, but you only get 3 hours inside. This is where the mystery ringed bird has been hanging out.

In good years like 14/15 there were frequent sightings from the hides on the Vistabella road and from the South gate. Birds can still be seen from there when numbers are lower but not as dependably.

Hope this helps :t:

There's a lot of interest in the origin of the second ringed GSE - it would be great if someone could advise about who to contact?

Cheers,

Phil

Mystery appears to be solved - according to this report GSE with white plastic rings with black lettering are from Estonia. Trying to get some detail on when it was ringed etc.

Attachments

• 04_DraveckyEtAl-2008-ColourEurope.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back