• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet species seen in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear forum members
Please can anyone advise what species is in the pic I took a few years ago.

Attachments

• dscf0318.jpg
    dscf0318.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 64
Dear Andy
Thanks again for the tip.
May just enquire for my records though please:
As there doesnt seem to be a "ring" on the collar of this parakeet, how can one be absolutely certain it is one.
The other species in that country are

Layards Parakeet
Plum-headed parakeet
Alexandrine Parakeet

Please can you advise by what reasoning one eliminates possible others eg Alexandrine Parakeet. Some pics of Alexandrine Parakeet seem quite similar to the rose-ringed.

Thank you for your kind help in the matter.

Dear Andy
Thanks again for your helpful comments.
I just thought maybe the angle the bird is positioned might theoretically hide the red shoulder patch. Also by similar reasoning the angle the bill is positioned at could it perhaps make it look smaller.
What I did notice in both my photo and the one you kindly posted, is that the narrow pale yellow wing bar or mark on the leading edge of the wing.
Would that be diagnostic in eliminating the AP?

Probable female.. Juv males look exactly like females.. I've often seen a pair of Ring-neck's in captivity later turn out to be two males because one was a juv male...

Fair enough, but the bird has a black bib, which suggests an adult or sub-adult, doesn't it?

Dear Andy
Thanks again for your helpful comments.
I just thought maybe the angle the bird is positioned might theoretically hide the red shoulder patch. Also by similar reasoning the angle the bill is positioned at could it perhaps make it look smaller.
What I did notice in both my photo and the one you kindly posted, is that the narrow pale yellow wing bar or mark on the leading edge of the wing.
Would that be diagnostic in eliminating the AP?

The red shoulder patch of Alexandrine should be visible from most angles. It's also a rather larger bird with a much larger bill and a harsh call.

Thanks again all
Does the pale mark at on the front of the wing tell us anything please?
Also is the tail of both species proportionately the same or is the AP longer.bigger please.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to be able to say I've seen all the parakeet species in Sri Lanka, and rose-ringed (more often called ring-necked here) like this are exceedingly common where I live in the UK. Just to note that the different species are easily distinguishable and it's difficult to confuse them, especially Alexandrine and ring-necked where the bigger more bulbous-appearing bill of the former is immediately apparent.

Dear Fern
Thanks for adding to the many helpful comments.
Do you see my pic as an "obvious" rose-ringed?
I saw just that one and the plum-headed parakeet. Layards and Alexandrine eluded me but I would like to go again.
Is the Alexandrine P. common in Sri Lanka?
Best wishes
Ian

I'm lucky enough to be able to say I've seen all the parakeet species in Sri Lanka, and rose-ringed (more often called ring-necked here) like this are exceedingly common where I live in the UK. Just to note that the different species are easily distinguishable and it's difficult to confuse them, especially Alexandrine and ring-necked where the bigger more bulbous-appearing bill of the former is immediately apparent.

Absolutely... They're both similarly coloured and that's where the similarity ends.. Alexandrines are a much larger bird with a large elongated head and very large robust bill..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back