• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Historic Insight into Victorian England (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Hi All Whlist listening to Melvyn Braggs "In Our Time" this little cameo of Victorian England was given an airing.

The Great Exhibition in London, the show piece of Victorian Englands might and Empire was built at Crystal Palace an area famous for its trees and local Sparrow population, Queen Victoria thought that the sparrows dropping might spoil the gowns of the ladies of all the rich and powerful leading lights of the world, so she ordered Wellington ( the Prime Minister) to deal with the problem, his answer to import Sparrowhawks into the local woodlands and exhibition site, this was a great success, the sparrow population was destroyed, and apparently everyone was delighted, except of course the poor old sparrows
No wonder there are fewer sparrows around for us to enjoy!

Good Birding PeterK :king:

PeterK said:
Hi All Whlist listening to Melvyn Braggs "In Our Time" this little cameo of Victorian England was given an airing.

The Great Exhibition in London, the show piece of Victorian Englands might and Empire was built at Crystal Palace an area famous for its trees and local Sparrow population, Queen Victoria thought that the sparrows dropping might spoil the gowns of the ladies of all the rich and powerful leading lights of the world, so she ordered Wellington ( the Prime Minister) to deal with the problem, his answer to import Sparrowhawks into the local woodlands and exhibition site, this was a great success, the sparrow population was destroyed, and apparently everyone was delighted, except of course the poor old sparrows
No wonder there are fewer sparrows around for us to enjoy!

Good Birding PeterK

Hello Peter

An interesting snippit. I have just been listening to the news and heard about some locals in France destroying swallows nests as they were afraid of Bird Flu. Things don't really change, do they.

Bridie

Hi Peter. Did you know that ,in the early days of birding,to prove a sighting,you had to produce the carcase This usually meant shooting the bird thus making rare birds even rarer. Sad 'innit?

maurice

mauricek said:
Hi Peter. Did you know that ,in the early days of birding,to prove a sighting,you had to produce the carcase This usually meant shooting the bird thus making rare birds even rarer. Sad 'innit?

maurice

I suppose the only positive here Maurice is that a great deal was learnt from bird skins in the past. Not good for the birds though. Strange how things change over time and are viewed so very differently. Although I do tend to think that even in the 21st century we still have many Victorian values around.

Your Geordie mate.

I think you probably know more than you are saying Brian.Would I be right in thinking that cured skins were used for illustration/education purposes to those interested as there was no colour photgraphy at that time.That would make it almost forgivable as there were many more birds about at that time.
I must stop this thinking lark.It tires me out.

Yorkie maurice

Well I'm jiggered Peter, amazing how long ago it all started then.

Bridie, I'm not a bit surprised to hear that bit of news coming from there, so sad to think they're suspicious of every little Bird, blowed if I'll be.

mauricek said:
I think you probably know more than you are saying Brian.Would I be right in thinking that cured skins were used for illustration/education purposes to those interested as there was no colour photgraphy at that time.That would make it almost forgivable as there were many more birds about at that time.
I must stop this thinking lark.It tires me out.

Yorkie maurice

Hi maurice

Perhaps, but there again I am good at generalisations, then have to go and check my facts! :h?: I would love to know how many bird skins still exist in museums around the world. Must have been used for al sorts of educational purposes over the years and I think the reason why many drawings and paintings of birds in the early years look a little weird is that they were taken from badly preserved skins. Things improved I believe when guys like Audabon in the USA and others actually got out into the field and drew/painted from real life, in natural habitat.

Just of interest for those who may not know this. Skins of Birds of Paradise were shipped from New Guinea to Europe for the plume trade for many years. The birds where sent minus feet and legs which led to the belief that they never alighted but fed on dew or fresh air on which they perpetually floated. Hence the name Birds of Paradise. Birds falling from Paradise. It wasn't until the 17th century that birds started to arrive intact and ended the myth. This story is alluded to by Linnaeus when giving the specific scientific name of apoda (meaning footless or legless), to the Greater Bird of Paradise.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you Geordie lad.I knew you would come up with something interesting.

The more I learn, the more I realise how much I don't know.

maurice

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back