• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scary plant (1 Viewer)

Jeff Taylor

:t: Chase that cat away.
Would you like your garden to be a no-go area for neighbours'cats!
A new plant from Thompson & Morgan could be just what you need if you are looking for a natural way to discourage these
persistent predators.
Cats,dogs and even foxes will avoid the Scardy-Cat plant because
it releases a stench that they cannot stand.Otherwise the plant,a
coleus,has excellent foliage and small,attractive spikes of blue
flowers in summer.Thankfully,it only offends the human nose
when the leaves are touched.Intrested drop me a line and i will
pass on the address where you can get it from.My order is already
in the post.
Toodle Pip
Jeff Taylor

Is this the same coleus you get in garden centres with lovely reddish green variegated leaves and tiny yet bushy flowers? I am interested! Please PM me with the address.

It's Coleus canina a semi succulent leaved species originally from South Africa, not really like those thin leaved, multi-coloured things that wilt at the mere mention of a Camels hoof! You can only grow it outdoors in the summer as the winter will kill it. We sold plants of it last year at the garden centre where I work in Northumberland and we have more plants coming on now. If anyone is passing just pm me and I can put one aside for collection.

Hi Steve,

Whereabouts is your nursery?

Me, I think I'd rather try something a little more effective, maybe poison ivy, or one of those plants with 6" barbed thorns ;)

Michael

Jeff, I hope it deters the cats in your area, only it doesn't work in Wales, My dear Mum has bought this plant this year and was showing it to a friend who apparently bought one last year and what happened to her plant was, the perrishing cats came and peed all over it, This plant has a common name of Pee Off, sorry but if this person has found it doesn't work, what hope for others? Good luck to you all, and as the late Geoff Hamilton, and dear Alan Tichmarsh use to say, the only way to keep other peoples cats off your garden, is to own a Tom cat of your own, give it a really loud bell, and keep it in at night, and have that cat done, and train it not to catch birds! Nina.

What you need is a Venus Fly(cat)trap about six foot tall, it may not keep cats out but they will only come in once!!

What the blurb about this plant neglects to mention of course is that you probably have to cover your entire garden with this plant to be at all effective, if indeed it really works at all (as Nina has pointed out). All a cat will do if it doesn't like the smell of something is mask it with it's own scent.......with guess what? Maybe thats why it has gained the nickname Pee off plant and people have misinterpreted the meaning?

just get some regular old "fart spray" and put it on the cat..in a place it cannot reach and lick off. The cat will be running from its self all day.
or you can use the ancient chinese remedy for everything: "foot binding" im sure the cat wouldnt be able to outrun a bird then!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back