• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacing house gutters with nesting starlings (1 Viewer)

We have a nestbox under the gables of our house that is used by starlings. They nest in there a few times over the summer, I think, they seem to have multiple broods though I have never really kept track. We like them (actually I like all animals, I don't discriminate). Anyway, we are going to be replacing all of our gutters sometime soon, and it suddenly struck me that the nest box could make this problematic. Removing and installing gutters wouldn't directly impact the box, since it's under the roof gable, but I assume that workmen tearing off the old gutter and screwing in the new one would probably be very disruptive to any nesting birds. So, the question is... does anybody know for sure if this would be a big deal? That part of the roof is a straight, long gutter, high off the ground, with one downspout. We'll be getting the 6" gutters with gutter guard. Not sure how long it'll all take, but I'd assume an hour or two perhaps for each section. Would this be a showstopper for nesting birds with chicks etc?

And if it would definitely be a bad idea, then can anybody give me an idea of when it would be "safe" to do the project, from the birds' point of view? We live in Albany, Oregon (mid-Willamette valley). Would they still be having babies in August? September? October? Any advice on timing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Neil

p.s. I know many people regard starlings as pests, but I would like to avoid that argument if possible. We like them and I don't want to evict them.

A little disturbance is very unlikely to cause starlings to abandon healthy chicks. It's otherwise at the egg stage, particularly early in it, when they'd be more prone to desert. Personally, I wouldn't be too upset at the loss of a few eggs (and I also like starlings). . ..

Last edited:
Nestling Starlings will never be as effective at re-directing rainwater runoff ... ;)

Don't know the law there regarding Starlings (if a 'pest' then nothing illegal I guess), but yes, if the nest is not directly disturbed and if for only an hour or two and you have the workmen on your side ... shouldn't be a problem (IMO - but if the birds are quite close to fledging time they could prematurely leave the nest, which would be a problem for them).

Otherwise reschedule as soon as this brood leaves the nest perhaps.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'll probably postpone the gutter project until September, which should hopefully be after their last brood, but before the rains start in earnest hereabouts. I don't want to risk forcing fledglings to take a jump prematurely, or otherwise disturb their family activities. There are chicks up there right now cheeping away, I think this is their second brood of the season, they'll probably have a third before we're done. I'm basically sponsoring a starling factory here. :p

By the way, is it a good idea to clean the nest box out every year, or better to leave everything in there? On the one hand I can see the obvious benefits of sanitation, getting rid of parasites that might be lurking in the bedding etc, but on the other hand cleaning it out means they have to start from scratch. Or would it be good to leave new bedding in there? If so, what's good? We have some clean straw which we got for a feral cat shelter, also cat hair from our rescue cats. Any tips much appreciated... also, if the word is to clean, then how to do it (use bleach or is that unsafe etc)...

By the way, is it a good idea to clean the nest box out every year, or better to leave everything in there? On the one hand I can see the obvious benefits of sanitation, getting rid of parasites that might be lurking in the bedding etc, but on the other hand cleaning it out means they have to start from scratch. Or would it be good to leave new bedding in there? If so, what's good? We have some clean straw which we got for a feral cat shelter, also cat hair from our rescue cats. Any tips much appreciated... also, if the word is to clean, then how to do it (use bleach or is that unsafe etc)...

Hopefully someone with actual nestboxes will confirm, but I think removing old bedding can only be a good thing - avoid buildup of mites etc if you are able to get up there safely. I'd also avoid bleach - there are eg pet safe sanitising sprays, or old fashioned things like vinegar I guess, or even just hot soapy water (probably human safe hand dishwashing liquid?). They should also be able to find their own bedding when the time comes - they'll choose what they want (I've seen suggestions like leaving hair cuttings/wool out for bird to collect - don't know if good idea or not).

Thanks again, dantheman.

I see you are in Cornwall. I grew up there for a while back in the 80's, we lived between Grampound Road and Probus. It was a nice old farmouse that we restored (like, really really old - it was in the Domesday Book). Fond memories, I'm sure it has changed a lot though so I'm kind of afraid to go back.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone with actual nestboxes will confirm, but I think removing old bedding can only be a good thing - avoid buildup of mites etc if you are able to get up there safely. I'd also avoid bleach - there are eg pet safe sanitising sprays, or old fashioned things like vinegar I guess, or even just hot soapy water (probably human safe hand dishwashing liquid?). They should also be able to find their own bedding when the time comes - they'll choose what they want (I've seen suggestions like leaving hair cuttings/wool out for bird to collect - don't know if good idea or not).

Cleaning the old box is extremely helpful for the birds in keeping the parasite load down as mentioned, some birds in fact won't re-use an old site if they deem it to be infested. We clean our Flycatcher box and disinfect it each autumn.

You're doing the most sensible thing in delaying the work I think though last year here in Russia, our Flycatchers put up with a hell of a lot of unavoidable drilling and commotion though I would't put them through it again.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back