• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrasher in North Central Texas? (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I saw two birds foraging on the ground behind my back fence this morning that I haven't seen around here since I became interested in bird watching last Fall. From looking at my field guide, I feel fairly confident they are either a Long-billed or Brown Thrasher though neither are common to the area I live in. I took photos of one of them from my kitchen window, but they flew before I could get outside and get a better, sharper photo.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 96
Looks good for Brown Thrasher to me, the other one I was considering was Sage Thrasher but Brown looks better to me.

-Matt

Thanks, My first thought was that the Brown Thrasher would probably be more likely choice based on it not being too far outside it's summer range, and it is found in this area during the winter months whereas the Long-billed, which is very similar in appearance, is not shown to reside outside of South Texas during any part of the year. To me, the larger size of the birds, the prominent wing bars and and being outside it's normal range would eliminate the Sage Thrasher.

Thanks, My first thought was that the Brown Thrasher would probably be more likely choice based on it not being too far outside it's summer range, and it is found in this area during the winter months whereas the Long-billed, which is very similar in appearance, is not shown to reside outside of South Texas during any part of the year. To me, the larger size of the birds, the prominent wing bars and and being outside it's normal range would eliminate the Sage Thrasher.

Yes, Sage Thrasher looks quite different in my opinion.

Not disagreeing; Long-billed Thrasher seems to be unlikely based upon range. However, Long-billed Thrasher looks very similar to Brown Thrasher, and I am not sure I have seen a basis yet in this thread for excluding it. Compare these photos:

http://www.riograndedeltaaudubon.org/Images/Thrasher_Long_billed700.jpg
http://www.ejphoto.com/longbilled_thrasher_page.htm

Just wondering for my own education. I do not see streaks on the undertail coverts, but I am not sure we have a good view of those.

Best,
Jim

I would say the main reason to exclude the Long-billed would be the extent to which it would seem to be out of it's range based on my field guide and on the birds observed or not observed in this area in mid-February during the Great Backyard Bird Count. There were a total of 25 Brown Thrashers reported throughout North Central Texas by 22 birdwatchers, while there were no Long-billed reported. There were 152 Long-billed Thrashers reported in Texas by 80 observers, but all those reports came from San Antonio (300 miles south of my location) and areas to the south of there.

Gary

Man Jim,

They do look alike! I'm sticking with Brown cause it's more likely but that is my opinion and ya never know.

-Matt

Brown for me, but only after a bit of research. Indeed the colors appear better overall for Long-billed (my gut reaction), but looking closer the bird appears to be mostly in shadow (see last photo). Also the light-based grayish beak, light face, brownish streaking near throat and uniformly white crissum indicate Brown.

These are photos of Brown Thrasher for me as well, not just based upon known range but also because this bird shows a shorter bill than most Long-billeds and lacks the dark malar more often shown by Long-billeds. I can't tell from the photos whether or not the pale base to the bill is flesh colored as is shown by Brown.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back