• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird spotting website - Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Where do I start? Well, we are building a birdspotting website for Southern Africa. It's not like any of the usuals out there that gives a wealth of information on every species of birds on the planet and it's does not have a an amazing forum like birdforum.net :).

A good friend and I are taking a different approach to build this platform. We would love your feedback and maybe when we launch it, you can take a look - especially those birders in Southern Africa.

We have built a powerful journal platform that gives you full control over all your sightings as well as searching the ever growing database of other bird spotter's sightings. All summited sightings are mashed up into google maps with a heat layer that shows a great visual representation of all sightings and others sightings.

Adding a sighting:
To add a sighting, you will need to register an account on Birdspotter. We've tried to make this as easy as possible to add only the basic most crucial information required to submit a good sighting. This can be done through a simple form with a pin you can drop on the map where you saw the sighting, click Submit and that's added to the Birdspotter database and in turn your own journal. This will also be added to the Birdspotter feed on the front page where others can add comment on your sighting. If you spot and add more than one bird on a day it will group these into one post on the main feed that you can expand to show all the birds you have spotted and submitted for that day.

Your journal dashboard:
Every time you add a sighting it will get added to your journal. You can run searches of yours and others sightings from this dashboard. These searches will show you an overall visual map view of where species are predominantly located through Google maps on our website. The journal dashboard has a summary area that you can see the total number of birds you have spotted, most spotted bird species, a list of all your sightings from the most recent sighting to your first ever sighting, it will show all the sightings that others commented on so that you can go straight to those comments to reply and interact directly with those that have commented. All of this are shown on a live Google maps on the right of your journal for easy viewing.

You can edit your sightings, add notes to previous sightings and add photos of your specific sightings. You can edit these at any time.

The main search:
We have a basic search page that anyone can use and you do not need to be registered or login to query all the bird spotters additions. As more spotters add their sightings, then the more intriguing the information should prove to be. We are hoping that you will be able to use all these individual sightings to show a greater picture of where species are found.

Another addition to this platform will be the public adding of hotspots that show all the spacies that can be sighted near to the hotspot within 50-100kms radius on the map. The hot spots will also allow everyone to comment on the hot spot and confirm local species.

Where are we now:
We have already built the add sightings and search sighting engine, and are working on the main journal now. I just need to make sure as a birder you would use the platform.

What else would you like our bird spotting platform to have available? If you would like to contribute and be part of the beta website, please message me.

Look forward to your comments.

Jean

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't want to be a spoiler, but aren't there exisiting platforms with global coverage that you could use instead building up a new one? Like ebird or observado.org

At the least, these platforms may serve you as inspiration what is done elsewhere. Other good sites I know and where you could draw ideas from are the ornitho family in Europe, e.g. ornitho.ch, ornitho.de. There are other nationals sites in Sweden and the Netherlands, but I don't know them. For sure the UK have sth. as well.
Best, Florian

Hi Florian,

Not a spoiler at all! I welcome and appreciate your reply.

We have a particular birding website experience in mind that offers crowdsourced sightings displayed through Google maps in a very easy clean way and allowing everyone to interact with each sighting through photos and comments. Using Google maps as a tool to compliment your own sightings and create a way to make your sighting look a little more fun.

I know there are other websites that do something similar, but as soon as we have the platform ready to show you, you'll understand what we are trying to do. I guess it's whether the platform differs enough from others to make it helpful is the questions. I realize it's hard to give feedback without seeing the platform in action, I promise I post the full link soon.

What do the UK have - do you have a link.

Best,

Jean

Last edited:
Here is a small survey of questions that I hope you can repost with your answers:

1. Do you use an online bird sighting and journal website? If yes - post link.
2. if yes, can you export your existing sightings as a backup from this website?
2. To help your hobby what is the most helpful feature would you like to be available?
3. Are there any other features you would like to make it easier to track your sightings?
4. Do you own a smartphone (iPhone/Android/Blackberry) and would a sightings / journal app be helpful to you?
5. When you are out bird watching do you take photos of your sightings?
6. On average how many sightings do you record a year?
7. Would you bother with an online sightings journal or do you just note it in your notebook/pc?
8. Have you or would you visit Southern Africa with bird watching in mind?

This information will greatly help to build a better platform. I would really appreciate any replies :)

Best wishes,

Jean

Hi Florian,

Not a spoiler at all! I welcome and appreciate your reply.

We have a particular birding website experience in mind that offers crowdsourced sightings displayed through Google maps in a very easy clean way and allowing everyone to interact with each sighting through photos and comments. Using Google maps as a tool to compliment your own sightings and create a way to make your sighting look a little more fun.

I know there are other websites that do something similar, but as soon as we have the platform ready to show you, you'll understand what we are trying to do. I guess it's whether the platform differs enough from others to make it helpful is the questions. I realize it's hard to give feedback without seeing the platform in action, I promise I post the full link soon.

What do the UK have - do you have a link.

Best,

Jean

Hi Jean,

eBird also uses Google maps and allows users to access data and add notes and photos in a user-friendly way. And like dalat I would much rather see you build off of what eBird does rather than build a separate data entry portal (they do allow creation of regional portals). The problem with having a separate portal is that it further splits the data, so birders and scientists have to visit multiple sites to get global data regarding a species' distribution. And, if you have a separate entry portal, the many users of eBird outside of Southern Africa will probably never make use of your data because they won't be aware of its existence (and even if aware, it's quite cumbersome to track data from multiple regional sites all over the world).

Jim

Here is a small survey of questions that I hope you can repost with your answers:

1. Do you use an online bird sighting and journal website? If yes - post link.
No, but I love the idea!
2. if yes, can you export your existing sightings as a backup from this website?
N/A
2. To help your hobby what is the most helpful feature would you like to be available?
Perhaps some way of using elimination to ID a bird?? Say, I type in long bill, green colour, white malar stripe, and the system eliminates all birds that don't have all three features? (Or is that plain ol' ridiculous?)
3. Are there any other features you would like to make it easier to track your sightings?
Can't think of any off-hand...other than making sure the system worked with an iPhone, unlike anything else I have read about
4. Do you own a smartphone (iPhone/Android/Blackberry) and would a sightings / journal app be helpful to you?
iPhone - yes I believe so
5. When you are out bird watching do you take photos of your sightings?
Almost always.
6. On average how many sightings do you record a year?
New ones? That drops annually of course. All sightings? 500 or so
7. Would you bother with an online sightings journal or do you just note it in your notebook/pc?
I'd be open to an online presence
8. Have you or would you visit Southern Africa with bird watching in mind?
I do daily

This information will greatly help to build a better platform. I would really appreciate any replies :)

Best wishes,

Jean
Hi Jean

Jolly interesting but unlike many birders I have a tiny budget. Will this be a costly venture to purchase?

My answers to help you are in red above...:cat:

Cheers!

Pee Ess: I would like to see a 'Photography Lifer List' included...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back