• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa rica bird ID Help (1 Viewer)

guernsey_dave

Registered User... registered user sounds like som
Hi all

Took these in 2003 and bnever found out what they were. Assume this is some kind of juvenile Euphonia, taken in cloud forest near monteverde. Any idea of ID from this shocking photo?

And on the offchance, in same area an oriole that evaded a good photo, any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• CNV00010.JPG
    CNV00010.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 157
  • CNV00018.JPG
    CNV00018.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 171
  • CNV00019.JPG
    CNV00019.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 153
Dave,
The first could be Rob's suggested Tangara. Certainly, the light isn't doing us any favors and I am wondering of the extension of the whitish color down under the throat - may not be consistent. I can't see the bill very well - may flip through other genera if I have time - the first to be eliminated might be Sporophila.

Lassa's suggestion of Chrysothlypis is a good guess, though it would have to be a male to have all of this yellow and the males have black spectacles around the eyes that I don't see here. I might be completely out to lunch, but my first fleeting thought was Pheucticus - but there is a lot hidden here that would help - particularly the beak and any possible markings on the wing coverts.

The third is the only one that looks like a Euphonia to me - a male - but Lord knows which one - too fuzzy to do a definitive on it.

cuckooroller said:
The third is the only one that looks like a Euphonia to me - a male - but Lord knows which one - too fuzzy to do a definitive on it.

The third shot is the same bird as the second shot, different angle, dreadfull but thort it might help

Dave

guernsey_dave said:
The third shot is the same bird as the second shot, different angle, dreadfull but thort it might help

Dave

Well, if you're sure of that then neither is Euphonia for me.

Edit: I finally found where the head is on the third photo - he's kind of bent down apparently to nibble on something - at first look I did not see that and thought the bird was more upright with the head hidden behind that upjutting branch and that some of that blue was on the nape in back of the head. Definitely no Euphonia I have seen.

Last edited:
The first one is pretty cert - nothing to discuss there. The 2nd bird (featured on photo #2 & 3) is difficult, but even a few notes from the photographed would help as there really only are two possibilities; the first being the already suggested male Black-and-Yellow Tanager, the second being Black-thighed Grosbeak. They're totally different birds (notably size & bill) and normally I'd consider the risk of confusing the two very close to zero, but I am not aware of any good features that can be used from these photos, as the branch on the 2nd photo perhaps can hide the white wing-speculum in the Grosbeak. Hence, even a a few vague notes from the photographed (in case any notes were taken) could probably lead to an ID. Had I seen it on a river island in the Amazon I'd have called it an Oriole Blackbird, but with locality in mind it obviously isn't...

Last edited:
cuckooroller said:
Well, if you're sure of that then neither is Euphonia for me.

Thats fine, i really had no good idea, was a while ago and at the time i was concentrating more on the beautiful Golden-browed chloriphonia in the flock which unfortunately got to close to focus on and photograph.

Any ID info wanted

this may be useless but here is another terrible wobbly shot, presumebly of the 1st bird face on, just to get an idea of the black throat and breast. (i can only assume as it is the same bird as it is the next photo on the film).

Attachments

• crap.JPG
    crap.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 105
guernsey_dave said:
this may be useless but here is another terrible wobbly shot, presumebly of the 1st bird face on, just to get an idea of the black throat and breast. (i can only assume as it is the same bird as it is the next photo on the film).

Yes, that's another photo of the Spangle-cheeked Tanager.

guernsey_dave said:
Hi all

Took these in 2003 and bnever found out what they were. Assume this is some kind of juvenile Euphonia, taken in cloud forest near monteverde. Any idea of ID from this shocking photo?

And on the offchance, in same area an oriole that evaded a good photo, any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

The first picture here (and the latest submitted) are Spangle-cheeked Tanager, the 2nd and 3rd pictures from the first post are Black-thighed Grosbeak, both Chiriqui restricted species found from around 3500ft in Costa Rica and Panama

or maybe it was the grosbeak if u are sure, im afriad i cannot remember, i thought it wasn't as big built as that but i salute your knowledge and except i must be wrong

Here's a male Chrysothlypis - as I said it is the Pheucticus for me. I just got home so my Database is available.

Attachments

• Chrysothlypis chrysomelas (masc.ad., Braulio Carrillo NP, CR, 1000m) 67.jpg
    Chrysothlypis chrysomelas (masc.ad., Braulio Carrillo NP, CR, 1000m) 67.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 113
There just aren't great images of the Pheucticus (tibialis I mean) around. This is probably the best one I have.

Attachments

• Pheucticus tibialis (male, Costa Rica).jpg
    Pheucticus tibialis (male, Costa Rica).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 83
cuckooroller said:
Here's a male Chrysothlypis - as I said it is the Pheucticus for me. I just got home so my Database is available.

Have to agree, thanks for help all, there'll be a few more photos i wud like help with as i go thru my films.

Off to peru in summer, nothing like throwing myself in at the deep end, will be first birding trip as costa rica was one of these adventure/challenge trips with my school and seeing birds relied on me getting up before others were awake breaking all the rules and going off on my own.

Cheers

Dave

And trying to give a comparable full frontal as the second photo of the Tangara.

Attachments

• Tangara dowii (ad., Savegre, CR) 446.jpg
    Tangara dowii (ad., Savegre, CR) 446.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 93
First bird Spangled-cheeked Tanager
Second Black-thighed Grosbeak.

Black and yellow Tanager is found in the Monteverde area only in the lower caribbean slopes of Tilaran cordillera, usually far from the much more visited pacific side or highlands.
Saludos
Eduardo

Another couple of birds here guys for your local knowledge. It may appear that all my photos are crap but i assure u most are good, i just cant decipher these due to lack of knowledge.

The first was taken in San Jose, these small, flighty doves were not much bigger than the rufous collared sparrows that were everywhere.

The second photo dove was larger, and was again near monte verde (santa elena village), similar in size to white-winged dove (i think).

Thanks again

Dave

Attachments

• CNV00015.JPG
    CNV00015.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 115
  • CNV00025.JPG
    CNV00025.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back