• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snettisham (1 Viewer)

Mike Y

I am visiting Norfolk first week of September and note that the morning of 3 September has a high tide at Snettisham and should be fantastic for seeing the wader spectacular. I have my dogs with me (well trained and obedient passionate birdwatchers) and will not be able to leave them unattended in the cottage that I am renting. Does anyone know if RSPB allows dogs on the reserve at Snettisham under strict superviosion or is it a "dog free zone"?

Any other means of viewing this other than through the RSPB reserve?

I think dogs are allowed as long as they are on a lead.
I saw plenty of dog walkers in amongst the birdwatchers there yesterday.

The RSPB website says "Dogs are only allowed on public footpaths and bridleways".
But that can't apply to the beach below high-water mark (cos the RSPB don't own that).
If eenymac's reply applies to the high-tide hides then you should be OK.

Hi the car park is owned by the fishing club, and the paths all the way to the beach are public footpaths as is the one all way along top to hide, so you will be ok, regards MC

I can recall visiting Snettisham several years ago for the Greater Sand Plover and observe a dog snatch and kill a Dunlin that had been feeding along the shoreline :(

That's just an irresponsible owner, the dog should have been on a lead, but last time I was there a year ago, the dogs were running every where, from the holiday lets. regards MC

Went for the first time this morning to the Snettisham 'Spectacular', assuming there would be a good number of adults and this years juveniles, but would say the starling winter roost at Otmoor is more spectacular.
Would December be better with more migrants added to the mix or did the late morning time of the spring tide effect the 'Spectacular' ?

Went for the first time to Snettisham beach near high tide during the weekend. Confirmed on the ID thread: Saw lots of Sanderlings, Dunlins, Ringed Plovers, Turnstones, Oystercatchers, Common Gulls and Knots. Also there were two Black-headed Gulls and two Black-tailed Godwits.....and a seal bobbing its head out of the water! Certainly will return there again!

AlecC- I was there on Saturday and enjoyed so much thay I will go back in winter. I am told that it is best to aim for days when the tide is at its absolute highest so that the knot are forced to leave the salt marsh.

Birdleg, we probably would have seen each other on the day as there were not really that many people there! Like you I will return.

On a wider note I had a fantastic week in Norfolk despite the very strong winds and during the course of one particular day watched two seperate barn owls quartering for the best part of an hour and later saw Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Kestrel and Tawny Owl in and around Cley. It doesent get any better than that!

hi there,what
i know spring tides are the best but how high in metres should i be keeping an eye out for for the best mud coverage?
thanks.

hi there,what
i know spring tides are the best but how high in metres should i be keeping an eye out for for the best mud coverage?
thanks.

Hi Rob

The best tides to visit on are anything over 6.8m but these is the heights quoted on the tide tables that are sold in the Titchwell shop and will probably not be the same elsewhere on the web. The best place for info is on the Snettisham pages on the RSPB website. We are running Snettisham Spectacular events on the best tides over the winter and these are all advertised on the webpages.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back