• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Wow, Dave! Sounds like an amazing trip! Do you have any records of other wildlife you saw there? Mammals/herps/crazy insects?

Hi Alex,

There doesn't seem to be a lot of mammals in that area, although we did see Cotton-top Tamarin monkeys in Tayrona National Park, Red-tailed Squirrels were common almost everywhere, we got a glimpse of an armadillo, and we heard Red Howler Monkeys.

At night, hundreds of moths were attracted to the lights of the lodge and they covered the windows of the dining area. I don't know anything about moths, but the numbers, varieties, sizes, and colors were amazing. We joked that there were probably many undescribed species there (which is probably the case).

Not many herps either. I think I only saw two skinks and one large iguana in lowland mangroves.

Dave

6 April - Vianen - Middelwaard

90. Sedge Warbler
91. Black-necked Grebe

Yesterday's Ring Ouzels still present but reduced to three. There was a female Sparrowhawk and a male Marsh Harrier around!

David

One new warbler for the year today, a preview of the warbler migration soon to come.

419. Louisiana Waterthrush

In addition to the waterthrush, I saw my first Barn Swallow of the year for my ABA Area and Indiana year lists.

Dave

Finally getting some new year birds for Missouri:

April 5th
117. Least Sandpiper, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
118. Baird's Sandpiper, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri

April 6th
119. Horned Grebe, Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri
120. Short-billed Dowitcher, Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri
121. Barn Swallow, on a utility line near Forbes, Missouri

Three migrants put me up to 422 for the year.

420. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
421. Yellow-throated Warbler
422. Northern Parula

I also added Solitary Sandpiper to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are now at 140 and 133, respectively.

Dave

Only one new bird today - but a lifer!
197. Upland Sandpiper.

I hope to get another lifer on Sunday, when I'm going to see Greater Prairie Chickens doing their displays at the Attwater NWR west of Houston. With luck I'll also see some new year birds there.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I took a trip up to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge yesterday and had a good day birding. I ran into a few birding friends and we all had an enjoyable time!

123. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
124. Purple Martin
125. Solitary Sandpiper
126. Peregrine Falcon
127. Sandhill Crane
128. Cinnamon Teal

83. European Bee-Eater (Kuwait)

84. Pale Rock Sparrow (Pale Rockfinch) (Kuwait)

85. Ortolan Buntin (Kuwait)

86. Masked Shrike (Kuwait)

87. Lesser Whitethroat (Kuwait)

88. White Stork (Kuwait)

Went to Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR on a terrible day for birding (because of the wind). Three new birds:
198. Greater Prairie Chicken
199. White-tailed Hawk
200. Northern Bobwhite

So I'm 2/3 of my way towards my year target of 300 birds in Texas. Spring migration has hardly begun here yet, so I'm hoping to add a lot to my list in the coming month.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Nothing new for my world year list (heavy rains made birding very difficult), but I did add Black-necked Stilt to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 141 and 134, respectively.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back