• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Rlb is still around and generally showing well. Had a report of it drifting to the south/west side of the b1032 on Monday but certainly back around the grazing marsh and golf course on Tuesday. I'm often finding it hunting over the southern end if the gc around lunchtime or perched on the ground in this area. Will post a few updates prior to the weekend (will be second hand reports as away with work tomorrow..)

Regards
Paul

A Great Northern Diver has taken up residence on the Stour this week. It was first reported on Monday and was still present at mid-day today, well on the Essex side of mid-channel. It can be seen from Wrabness, in the vicinity of buoys 5 and 6. If you're going to see the bird at the weekend: pack gloves, wear lots of layers and hang on to your hat!

If I recall correctly, is was 6th November last year when the Surf Scoter first showed up for it's all-winter stay on the Stour. On the basis that the bird might have become a creature of habit, I've been hoping that it might return this month. Nothing so far though!

Stewart

Rlb is still around and generally showing well. Had a report of it drifting to the south/west side of the b1032 on Monday but certainly back around the grazing marsh and golf course on Tuesday. I'm often finding it hunting over the southern end if the gc around lunchtime or perched on the ground in this area. Will post a few updates prior to the weekend (will be second hand reports as away with work tomorrow..)

Regards
Paul

Good to hear,is there parking at the Frinton end near the golf course?

A Great Northern Diver has taken up residence on the Stour this week. It was first reported on Monday and was still present at mid-day today, well on the Essex side of mid-channel. It can be seen from Wrabness, in the vicinity of buoys 5 and 6. If you're going to see the bird at the weekend: pack gloves, wear lots of layers and hang on to your hat!

If I recall correctly, is was 6th November last year when the Surf Scoter first showed up for it's all-winter stay on the Stour. On the basis that the bird might have become a creature of habit, I've been hoping that it might return this month. Nothing so far though!

Stewart

Strange how those buoys always seem to get good birds year after year!

Plenty of free parking at the southern end of The Esplanade in Frinton just before the golf course. If the bird is in the air you could see it within metres. That said possibly a busier golf course at the weekend although the wind forecasted might put some off! Worth checking on the ground or piles of cut grass etc at the furthest end from Frinton behind the green hut as there might be some shelter there tomorrow. Good luck!

Plenty of free parking at the southern end of The Esplanade in Frinton just before the golf course. If the bird is in the air you could see it within metres. That said possibly a busier golf course at the weekend although the wind forecasted might put some off! Worth checking on the ground or piles of cut grass etc at the furthest end from Frinton behind the green hut as there might be some shelter there tomorrow. Good luck!
Thanks will be going Sunday so hopefully won't have been blown away by then

pack gloves, wear lots of layers and hang on to your hat!

Stewart

You weren't wrong there! I nipped down for a bit of Knot flagging on the turning tide after lunch to find the Northerly was so strong that the tide had stayed in and the waders were flying around wondering where the mud had gone.

Regards
Paul

Thanks for all the info connected with the RLB and had great views of a Snow Bunting and 2 Purple Sandpipers

Cheers

You weren't wrong there! I nipped down for a bit of Knot flagging on the turning tide after lunch to find the Northerly was so strong that the tide had stayed in and the waders were flying around wondering where the mud had gone.
We were gonna take the boat down the river but decided against it and just took it off the mooring and bought it home or the winter on a plus note we did see a couple of kingfisher

Mid Thames RTD flying up then downriver on 3 mornings this week from TTNP (Mucking) first 2 hours of light.

2 SEO's intermittently hunting between East Tilbury and Mucking. Seems Rainham is the better location at the moment.

East Tilbury 2 Dartford Warblers seen on at least 2 occasions over last 3 weeks(one in SSSI and one in Scrub by borrow dyke) with stonechats.

White-cheeked Pintail still among Teal at Stanford Wharf/Mucking Creek

Our resident Rough-legged Buzzard was still present yesterday, but it was seen sat in the middle of a ploughed field at the back of Frinton Golf Course. Presumably it was feeding on worms, leather-jackets and the like. To me (having an anthropomorphic lapse), this seemed as quite a fall in stature for this wonderful hunter. (Also, it had to endure watching all those men in diamond-patterned Pringle sweaters hitting a little ball about!)

Stewart

One of the few good things about birding at this time of year is that birds reported one day, can usually found in the same location the next day. This proved to be the case at Abberton Reservoir today. The birds reported yesterday (by Daryl Rhymes) were still around today. I only had time to view the Peldon Bay and Dam Bay area (from the observation point near Abberton Church), and there were:

• An adult Black-throated Diver. It was diving near to a large group of Great Crested Grebe (though with probably 400+ GCG in the area, it would have been impossible to get far away from any!).
  • Eight Bewick's Swans. These could be viewed from the left-hand side of the 'blind' in the viewing area, though not all of them could be seen well. This must be one of the very few 'observation points' with a great clump of trees and bushes in front of it!
  • A male Red-breasted Merganser. These are uncommon on the Reservoir and this bird had found itself amongst a group of Goosander. This rather confused bird appeared to be displaying or posturing with up-stretched neck. The Goosander weren't giving it a comfortable time.

On a different topic and area, I note that 3 Whooper Swans were reported today 7Km NE of Chelmsford. Anyone know more about this? It would be a 'turn up'.

Stewart

On a different topic and area, I note that 3 Whooper Swans were reported today 7Km NE of Chelmsford. Anyone know more about this? It would be a 'turn up'.

Stewart

Based on the OS square reference on the report they could only have been on one of the gravel pits at Russell Green. Reported as 3 'immatures' which sounds a bit odd, though I might try and drag myself up there tomorrow at some point if it's not raining / I can be bothered! :smoke:

Based on the OS square reference on the report they could only have been on one of the gravel pits at Russell Green. Reported as 3 'immatures' which sounds a bit odd, though I might try and drag myself up there tomorrow at some point if it's not raining / I can be bothered! :smoke:

Had a look over there at lunchtime and couldn't see any swans at all on the roadside pits.

The Black-throated Diver was still at Abberton earlier, viewed from the church. Standing on the church porch with my back to the door, the diver was straight out in the middle of the res, viewed towards the small green hide opposite. Also at Abberton were a Slav Grebe tucked in close to the dam, a pair of Goosanders, and 2 Bewick's Swans in Wigborough Bay.

Then popped over to West Mersea where there was initially no sign of the Black Brant. Fortunately it flew in from the saltmarsh to the north and dropped down on the channel just north of the Dabchicks Sailing Club building.

Not a bad hour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back