• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable Hides (1 Viewer)

scubapauly

Hi all,

I've just managed to get myself a popup hide. I was wondering where people were using theirs?

Local nature reserves aren't going to be that happy with people turning up with their own hides, or is that ok?

Due to the nature of them, its going to be a case of arrive somewhere, put up the hide, shoot pics/watch animals, then pack up go home.

Just interested in peoples experiences.

Hi pauly,

I can't answer your question, sorry... but I was wondering which hide you got, and how you are finding it?

I also want to get one, but not sure which to buy. Have checked back over the previous posts about hides, and anything recommended appears to be sold out!

I suppose if it's good enough you will be able to put it up anywhere because nobody will be able to see it and complain. Sorry, not very helpful. As you say, I can't see nature reserves approving. A helpful farmer or landowner perhaps?

Ron

I love surfing american gun sites - so many shiny things on show.

As has been said, most reserves won't be too happy if you set up a hide when visiting so you are limited more to open access sites and then run the risk of louts giving you hassle.

In order to photograph Otters I have resorted to a full ghillie suit and laying prone on a boggy bank for several hours - a pop-up hide would have been a far more comfortable option.

I use mine on marshland its one of these and iv just ordered the chair hide as it will be better if the wind's a bit strong.
Rob.

I am struggling to understand why you would want a camouflaged hide then erect it in a place where the profile of the hide breaks the skyline. This hide would be better suited erected further down the bank...

I use mine on marshland its one of these and iv just ordered the chair hide as it will be better if the wind's a bit strong.
Rob.

I am struggling to understand why you would want a camouflaged hide then erect it in a place where the profile of the hide breaks the skyline. This hide would be better suited erected further down the bank...

just to the right of me 2ft away theres a 10ft deep tidal creak (im looking along it towards a bend ) many bird's fly along it and land on the mud they dont see my hide and even when they do they ignor it as it has being there since they walked towards it :)
Rob.

Thanks for the replies folks. I actually haven't had a chance to use it yet. Still trying to work out where there is a decent enough place in Hertfordshire to give it a test drive :)

Hi,
I would approach a local farmer, especially one with a pond or river on their farm. Take some photos you have taken in the past to show them and offer to give them some you take. Don't go to see them dressed in your camo gear and make sure you explain the temporary nature of the hide.
I've never actually done it myself, but I've had a lot of contact with farmers when I went metal detecting and I think you will find the majority are both approachable and interested in what is on their land.
Farmers of small farms are the best bet and you might have to assure them you will not disturb their pheasants.
If you get permission, why not set up a feeding station.
Oh, and don't forget to keep in touch with the farmer and show him your photos. You will probably find he will then start alerting you to sightings and will also probably put you in contact with other farmers. It happened to me many times whilst detecting.
Good luck
Denny

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back