• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prints have purple cast (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have had my Epson R800 for 3 years now and up until to past couple of months the prints have been great. Now I am getting a problem where the Grey's are printing purple(ish). Even Grey text is printing purple - plain and photo paper.
I have checked the nozzles via a nozzle test and all are printing fine. Tried re-installing the printer driver.
anyone have any ideas ?

This is a common problem with many printer and paper combinations, I have found. The light you view the images in can also affect this - i.e. a print will look purplish in under one light (e.g. flourescent) but look OK with another (e.g. daylight).

You don't say whether you are printing color or black and white images/text. If you are printing greyscale images, I'd recommend specifying "black ink" in the driver. This forces it to only use the black ink. Otherwise, you may be getting color ink trying to approximate black.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then it is definitely the light or paper that is causing the problem (otherwise, how can a greyscale image printed with black ink look purple?). One thing you could try under this condition is to change the image to a color image and then use the "colorize" tool that some image editors have to give it a subtle color cast that will counteract the purple cast. For example, I have colorized to a faint dark-blue color and it has come out looking black - in Colorize dialog, use color 170, saturation 3. Gives a slightly blueish image, and forces use of color ink giving a inky/blue-black color.

If you are printing color images with some black in them that looks purplish, I have sometimes found that this can happen as you get towards the end of a color cartridge - i.e. on my Epson 1280, if the color cartridge (only one combined cartridge on the 1280) is almost out, the color can get purplish. There is no solution under this condition, except to get a new cartridge.

Last edited:
Have you changed your settings? I find with my R800 I get better results if I turn off colour managemnt and let the computer (Photosop CS3) control the printing.

This is a common problem with many printer and paper combinations, I have found. The light you view the images in can also affect this - i.e. a print will look purplish in under one light (e.g. flourescent) but look OK with another (e.g. daylight).

You don't say whether you are printing color or black and white images/text. If you are printing greyscale images, I'd recommend specifying "black ink" in the driver. This forces it to only use the black ink. Otherwise, you may be getting color ink trying to approximate black.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then it is definitely the light or paper that is causing the problem (otherwise, how can a greyscale image printed with black ink look purple?). One thing you could try under this condition is to change the image to a color image and then use the "colorize" tool that some image editors have to give it a subtle color cast that will counteract the purple cast. For example, I have colorized to a faint dark-blue color and it has come out looking black - in Colorize dialog, use color 170, saturation 3. Gives a slightly blueish image, and forces use of color ink giving a inky/blue-black color.

If you are printing color images with some black in them that looks purplish, I have sometimes found that this can happen as you get towards the end of a color cartridge - i.e. on my Epson 1280, if the color cartridge (only one combined cartridge on the 1280) is almost out, the color can get purplish. There is no solution under this condition, except to get a new cartridge.

Hi Rah, This is happening with various papers (I have tried 4 types) and the ink is the same that I have been using for a couple of years now. It is definitely not the light.

This is happening when I print in colour (on the R800 there is no setting to specify Black ink - it uses 8 different cartridges which includes a Matt Black and a Photo black).

I have changed the cartridges and the problem still exist.

As I mentioned I have been very happy with this printer for three years now.

I have tried various ICI profiles and also let the printer control the colours.

I have tried printing via CS2 and my preferred printing software Qimage all with the same results a strong purple cast

Have you changed your settings? I find with my R800 I get better results if I turn off colour managemnt and let the computer (Photosop CS3) control the printing.
Nothing changed from when I was successfully printing - I have tried all types of colour management and also turning it off all with the same result.

Not that I really have that much idea about this, but does the same thing happen when you go in word, make a text or square, and define the text as say 50% gray?

Niels

Not that I really have that much idea about this, but does the same thing happen when you go in word, make a text or square, and define the text as say 50% gray?

Niels
Hi Niels, Just tried a gray square in word and it came out purple !
Also tried printing the gray square in 'Grayscale' and it still came out Purple. Got to be something wrong with the ink (I think :-C:-C )

Last edited:
Got to be something wrong with the ink (I think)
Now that I think back, I think when I bought my earlier E900 or relatively new 1280, the ink that it came with gave me that purple cast problem, even well before the cartridges were empty. As soon as I changed to a new cartridge, it cured it. I always figured it was because the ink was old (i.e. sitting in the new printer box in the store for months).

I do know that Consumer Reports has always recommended NOT buying ink too much in advance (for example, stocking up when it's on sale) - say not more than 6 months - because ink doesn't store well. So, perhaps your ink is old. Of course, it could just be a bad batch.

I think what I would do is clean your heads thoroughly using this bad ink and then get new cartridges (I say use it to clean the heads first because you might as well put it to some use before you trash it!).

Sound to me one of you jets is leaking and most probble is cyan or magenta,check to see if one off these colours is next to the black cartridge as it could be picking up residue of a leaking jet,so you may need new jets,This is not a definative answer just the only thing i can think of that could be wrong as i had one that made yellow green because the blue jet was leaking.

Sound to me one of you jets is leaking and most probble is cyan or magenta,check to see if one off these colours is next to the black cartridge as it could be picking up residue of a leaking jet,so you may need new jets,This is not a definative answer just the only thing i can think of that could be wrong as i had one that made yellow green because the blue jet was leaking.
Hi Taz, the R800 has 8 cartridges including two black inks, One Photo Black and one matt black, neither of these are next to the megenta. When I do a nozzle test print all the colours look to be printing fine. I have got colours looking better by reducing the Meganta by -10 and increasing the yellow by +10.
I have checked for ink in the printer and there does not appear to be any leakages. I reckon it is duff ink so the next step is to replace all the cartridges and start again.
P.S. I have just ordered a batch of 12" x 8" prints from Photobox who are doing them for 50p each at the moment, I reckon it would cost more than this to print myself.

Last edited:
Must you not use the Matt Black on MATT Paper n the Gloss black on Gloss Paper..Must you not Swap the Black cartridges when you do so...If you not doing that, then that's why it's giveing you Wonky colour....Is the Monitor Calibrated (colour profiled).

Must you not use the Matt Black on MATT Paper n the Gloss black on Gloss Paper..Must you not Swap the Black cartridges when you do so...If you not doing that, then that's why it's giveing you Wonky colour....Is the Monitor Calibrated (colour profiled).
No, you do not / cannot swap the Blacks on this printer,it has 8 cartridges and 8 slots. It is not like some of the cheaper printer which uses interchangable cartridges.
And yes, I have the monitor calibrated with the eye one dispay two calibrater which is one of the best there is.

I have been getting superb prints from this printer for over two years with no colour cast problems until now.

Roy,

Try converting image to Greyscale and let photoshop print with preview, use your usual printer profile setting. Use CMYK printing. Type in some black text on white to see if alignment is still correct.

If still purple then printer is at fault.

Either wrong inks used, or inks in wrong berth, or nozzle on red and magenta (maybe cyan as well) have enlarged.

Roy,

Try converting image to Greyscale and let photoshop print with preview, use your usual printer profile setting. Use CMYK printing. Type in some black text on white to see if alignment is still correct.

If still purple then printer is at fault.

Either wrong inks used, or inks in wrong berth, or nozzle on red and magenta (maybe cyan as well) have enlarged.

Hi pe'rigin , just converted a shot with a lot of blue sky into greyscale - the sky looked light grey after conversion. I printed and the sky came out deep purple :-C
I fear the printer is b*@#"^ed

p.s. The inks are definitely in the right berth

Suggestions , though I'm sure you have tried them!
Are printer cables all firmly in place?
Have you tried uninstalling the printer drivers and reinstalling?
A perfect nozzle check pattern suggests cleaning the heads is not the issue.
What software do you use to print?
When my 1290 was dying recently it had a temporary lease of life when I printed with epson photo quicker but even that succumbed in the end.
Hope you fix it!
Peter.

I fear the printer is b*@#"^ed

Morning Roy,

It looks likely.

Just run a test on the pdf to see. You have no profile CMYK and RGB and a greyscale breakdown, plus a magenta and cyan percentage, if still purple and very dark in the M&C, then it's gone. There could be some fluff around the nozzle, but unlikely.

Try photoshop
Let photoshop determine colour
Print with preview
Perceptual off
Usual epsom settings

Attachments

• test.pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Suggestions , though I'm sure you have tried them!
Are printer cables all firmly in place?
Have you tried uninstalling the printer drivers and reinstalling?
A perfect nozzle check pattern suggests cleaning the heads is not the issue.
What software do you use to print?
When my 1290 was dying recently it had a temporary lease of life when I printed with epson photo quicker but even that succumbed in the end.
Hope you fix it!
Peter.
Hi Peter, I have reseated the cables and reinstalled the printer driver all to no avail. I have tried printing via Photoshop and Qimage.

Morning Roy,

It looks likely.

Just run a test on the pdf to see. You have no profile CMYK and RGB and a greyscale breakdown, plus a magenta and cyan percentage, if still purple and very dark in the M&C, then it's gone. There could be some fluff around the nozzle, but unlikely.

Try photoshop
Let photoshop determine colour
Print with preview
Perceptual off
Usual epsom settings
Hi pe'rigin, Just tried printing the pdf test both directly and from PS. All the colours look fairly good (albeit a little dark) apart from the greyscale which has a magenta cast. I tried reducing the magenta to the point where a green cast appeared. Whatever I try the greys have a coloured cast but the rgb colours look pretty good.

"You have no profile CMYK and RGB and a greyscale breakdown, plus a magenta and cyan percentage"
Not sure what you mean by this.

Also by not selecting 'Perceptual' you have to select one of the other options like Relative or Absolute. Is this correct

OK Roy,

What I've done is created a postscript with all the settings taken out and put in mine.

If that's working on your printer the colours should be spot on, if they are this proves you're doing very thing correctly in terms of printing. If the magenta and cyan samples look correct then there's no problem with nozzles.

The cast has me slightly bemused.

On the greyscale how bad is the cast? Is there any black in there?

Is it going through the entire strip?

I think you need to look at the grey and black inks, try not to colour compensate with any software.

Try printing black only and see if the ink density is coming through.

OK Roy,

What I've done is created a postscript with all the settings taken out and put in mine.

If that's working on your printer the colours should be spot on, if they are this proves you're doing very thing correctly in terms of printing. If the magenta and cyan samples look correct then there's no problem with nozzles.

The cast has me slightly bemused.

On the greyscale how bad is the cast? Is there any black in there?

Is it going through the entire strip?

I think you need to look at the grey and black inks, try not to colour compensate with any software.

Try printing black only and see if the ink density is coming through.

On the greyscale the black is pretty good but then all the shades have a purplish cast running through them all.

I tried printing some large black text in word and that comes out very well, with a very deep black.

I then printed three lines of text in three shades of grey (dark to light) and the cast was evident.

On the R800 there is a 'greyscale' printing choice but choosing this for the grey text did not make any difference.

Printing your test PDF in greyscale printing mode results in all the colours have a purplish cast with the exception of the large black square which came out pretty good.

Re:looking at the black and grey inks - The R800 has a photo black and a matte black - not sure how it decides on which and how much of each to take.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back