• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norway Golden Eagle Photography Trip 2009 (1 Viewer)

jtwood

I have been fascinated by Golden Eagles for over thirty years now, having lived in the West Highlands of Scotland I had plenty of opportunities to watch and photograph Golden Eagles but always from a distance, I dreamt of photographing one close-up but never managed it. I moved to East Lothian two years ago so any chance of a Goldie photo got a lot less likely. I was browsing the internet one night when I came across Wild Arena Photography Tours one of the Tours was Photographing Golden and White-tailed Eagles in Norway in January for the Price £1890 Flights were £200 extra. This sounded like a way of fulfilling my dream so I signed on the Dotted Line.
A cold January Morning saw five photographers and David Southard Director of Wild Arena assemble at Heathrow for our flight to Trondhiem all went to plan and we arrived on time to be met at the Airport by our guide for the trip Ole Martin Dahle, A 21/2 hrs drive north found us at our base for the week Lauvsnes in the Flatanger Region.
Our accommodation was a newly built Lodge where basic food was supplied on a help yourself basis this worked very well with no waiting for breakfast needed as we did start early in the Morning food and Thermos were provided for a picnic lunch, We went to the Local Inn for a Meal in the Evening.
At the first evening get together we decided to split into two teams of three one team going to the Golden Eagle Hide the other to the Goshawk Hide I managed the Eagle hide on the first day so Tired but excited I retired to bed early.
Equipment. After taking advice I had brought my Canon 400mm DO lens Canon 1D Mark lll body and a 1.4 Extender a Manfrotto 444 Carbon Tripod.

Day One
I did not sleep well the Wind had risen to Gale Force overnight the Roof had rattled all night there was light Snow and Ice on the Roads I was a bit concerned if we would Make it to our Mountain hide that day, No need to worry a cheery Ole turned up at 6.45am not in the Least concerned by the Weather after a 1/2 drive we stopped at a lay-by deep in the Mountains.From the Road to the Eagle Hide was a very steep Snowy and icy climb, with 6 layers of clothes on plus a backpack full of gear all this done in the dark with a 40km wind blowing it was a very weary JT that reached the Hide. The Hide we used for the Eagles had been insulated and then lined with timber there was a small Spirit Heater which was much needed, There was a canvas screen with a drawstring to put your Lens through this was then tied from the outside by the Guide so you could not be seen by the birds this also stopped you changing Lenses which avoided disturbing the birds. The Chairs in the Hide were covered with a Reindeer Hide which is extremely warm, A chemical toilet in a cubical is also provided. The only view you have of the area in front of the Hide is through a small slot covered with dark glass or through your camera. All well thought out so there is no disturbance to the Birds. The carcasses left out are mostly Road kills the local Police phone the guides when they find a road kill which is then used as supplementary feeding for the Eagles over the Winter.
Some of the Foxes are Animals that are culled by Local Farmers instead of being buried they are used to Feed the Golden and White-tailed Sea Eagles from late October until March.

Ole wished us good luck and left he would return when it was near dark. Two Hours later in poor light our first Eagle appeared it was a struggle to focus in the light we had but you just felt you had to get a shot, Just as the light was improving my companion in the Hide picked up a tissue and started to clean the glass in his viewing slot, The Eagle was off immediately, I had not met my companions before the trip but I felt I had to mention this was not a good idea. My second companion a Lady then started to change Lenses this was strictly forbidden due to the disturbance it caused to the Birds, Then the first chap who had a Sigma zoom Lens which started to Mist up internally he then changed lenses several times, Hide discipline had broken down completely, After a hour of this madness order was restored. The events in the Hide were gone over in the evening after that there was good Hide discipline and we worked very well as a Team.
Almost immediately order was restored a Eagle appeared in Low but reasonable light a few good shots were now in the Bag I could relax. The day ended with 7 visits from Golden Eagles one arrival coincided with the only glimpse of the Sun we saw that day what luck. Several Jays were feeding on the Carcasses giving us some fine shots between Eagles. Ole returned to collect three very happy photographers just before dark. Even before I looked at my photo’s I knew my Dream had been fulfilled.
The other Team at the Goshawk Hide had no success.

To be continued.

Attachments

• Golden Eagle  4319.jpg
    Golden Eagle 4319.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Golden Eagle  3945.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3945.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Golden Eagle  3653.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3653.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 269
  • Golden Eagle  4363.jpg
    Golden Eagle 4363.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Golden Eagle  3386.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3386.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 245
Day Two
Our turn for the Goshawk Hide discipline in the Hide was even tougher for the Goshawk than the Golden Eagle you had to Point your Lens at the bait which in our case was a Dead Grouse, And then wait, Five hours later no sign of any Goshawk and three very bored and stiff photographers had given up hope.
Ole was to collect us at 1.30pm the Goshawk seemingly was a morning bird , it was now 12.30 there was some seed feeders in front of the hide which were being visited by Marsh Tit, Crested Tit, Bullfinch, Jay and some other small birds photographing them past in the last hour very well.
Ole returned on time to return us to the Lodge.
Our Guide and owner of the Hides Ole Martin Dahle is a cheery larger than life character full of fun and 110% committed to getting you the very best photos he can, He is called the Eagle Man in Norway. The Lodge is visited by Europe’s best wildlife photographers Andy Rouse and Brutus Ostling are among many of the names in the Guest book, There are many signed copies of Photography books in the Lodge.

Attachments

• Bullfinch  (Northern) 4448.jpg
    Bullfinch (Northern) 4448.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Crested Tit  4450.jpg
    Crested Tit 4450.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Crested Tit  4490.jpg
    Crested Tit 4490.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 163
  • Marsh Tit  4531.jpg
    Marsh Tit 4531.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Jay  4153.jpg
    Jay 4153.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 182
thanks for the trip update jt, sounds like the trip of a life time.
its got me wanting to sign on the dotted line?????(one can dream )
oh nearly forgot your photos are stunning, i bet you are really pleased.

Day Three
It was our turn for the White-tailed Eagle Hide, The wind was blowing at Gale force and there were many light Snow showers. The Hide was situated on the exposed rocky shore of the Fiord, we settled in with great anticipation 5hrs later no birds had shown just Magpie, Hooded Crows and Raven taking advantage of a free meal.
Then action a Golden Eagle appeared and started feeding it was having great difficulty in the very strong winds, The light was starting to go and with the strong winds photography was challenging. They were not the best photo’s I had taken on the trip but they did have a Moody feel to them with the low light and the feathers on the bird blowing about in the wind. The bird left just as Ole Arrived to collect us a slow start to the day but a good finish.

Attachments

• Golden Eagle  5054.jpg
    Golden Eagle 5054.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Golden Eagle  5261.jpg
    Golden Eagle 5261.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Golden Eagle  5215.jpg
    Golden Eagle 5215.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Golden Eagle  4758.jpg
    Golden Eagle 4758.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Golden Eagle 2  5489.jpg
    Golden Eagle 2 5489.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 214
Day Four
A much anticipated return to the Golden Eagle Hide. We were to be joined in the Hide by Pal Hermansen a Norwegian professional Wildlife Photographer our team would need to be on it’s best behaviour. There was a small extension to the Hide with two Lens outlets Pal was using both he had a 600mm lens with a 2x extender on one and a 300mm lens on the other he was shooting remotely using Live view with a control in both hands and firing simultaneously.
The first Eagle came in at 9.15am to early for good light even at F4 ISO 3200 it was difficult to focus, After 15min the light improved and shutter’s started to chatter the only view I had of the bird was from the Lens which gave me a very narrow field to view. I could see the Eagle was being distracted by something to its right I swung the camera slowly to the right only to have my Lens filled by the sight of a White-tailed Eagle, The Goldie was having none of this and flew at the White Tailed there was no way the Female White Tailed was getting on the carcass. The WTE eventually found a Deer leg that had been left for the jays. The WTE did not get on the carcass until the Goldie left.
Another Goldie soon joined the WTE. In all we had a Eagle of some Kind in front of the Hide for two hours. It was a relief when the last bird had departed giving us a chance of a well earned Coffee and a bite to Eat. I had managed to fire off 24GB in this spell slowing up quite a bit in the last hour and picking my shots with a bit more care.
The Sun could only reach the Hide for 1/2hr a day at this time of year and again we were lucky just as the Sun made it onto the Rock in front of the Hide a Golden Eagle landed in a Tree close to the Hide he surveyed the Hide then the Bait and flew down for a Feed. He stayed for 10min until he was disturbed by a Eagle flying close by. That was our last bird of the day but what a day.
What a super day we had experienced almost non stop action the Jays had kept us busy when the Eagles had gone, Defiantly a day to remember.

Attachments

• White-tailed  Eagle  6580.jpg
    White-tailed Eagle 6580.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Golden Eagle  7183.jpg
    Golden Eagle 7183.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 228
  • Golden Eagle  7105.jpg
    Golden Eagle 7105.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 197
  • White-tailed Sea Eagle  6480.jpg
    White-tailed Sea Eagle 6480.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Golden Eagle  7405.jpg
    Golden Eagle 7405.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 205
Fantastic thread, and some excellent shots - love the Cresties.

Interesting re: the Marsh Tit - while it appears to show a pale spot on base of bill (which is supposed to be diagnostic?), it shows none of the two tone cheek appearance of a Marsh but rather the 'wide' face feature of a Willow and clear pale wing panel.

Interesting re: the Marsh Tit - while it appears to show a pale spot on base of bill (which is supposed to be diagnostic?), it shows none of the two tone cheek appearance of a Marsh but rather the 'wide' face feature of a Willow and clear pale wing panel.

I'm pretty certain that's a Willow Tit. The bill mark is not really the proximal spot of Marsh Tit, and may be an example of the 'scuffing pitfall'.

Love the thread and the photos. Sounds like a really amazing holiday.

Graham

Day Five
This was to be a different day to the rest of the Trip. We would be travelling North and inland to Photograph Wild Moose in the Snow. Then travel to a Wildlife Pak where we would be photographing the Animals, there again in thick Snow. Not the kind of Wildlife photography I like but the rest of the group were keen.
The Moose were on a large Farm where they were being fed carrots in front of a Hide we were told they did not mind the farmer but the Least sign of a Stranger and they were off.
We travelled to the Hide in a covered in box on the back of the Tractor it was stopped right at the Hide so as not to disturb the Moose the carrots were put out behind some mounds of Snow this attracted two Moose in, the Moose obviously new we were present they were very wary after ten minutes and a few Nervous moments they were of, that was the last we saw of them. All this was being filmed by Norwegian TV who had heard of these silly British photographers who had travelled to Norway in mid Winter to photograph Moose on a farm.
Our first Target at the Wildlife park were Lynx they were housed in a very open and natural enclosure the Gate was opened slightly I squeezed in and found this absolutely magnificent Lynx a few feet from me, I had not realized how big these cats are, The Snowy setting and the sinking Winter Sun showed these Animals at there very best.
I split from the Main group to have a look at the Capercaillie this brought home to me that this was a Zoo they were in a enclosure that was narrow and long covered by a net the birds were I am sure well looked after but very enclosed I decided it was not for me and re-joined the main group. We then photographed the Wolfs who had a very nice and large open enclosure with a walkway above for viewing I managed a few nice shots here.
I was glad when our day was over the Lynx were super, But this type of wildlife photography was not for me.

Attachments

• Moose  7725.jpg
    Moose 7725.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 174
  • Lynx  7780.jpg
    Lynx 7780.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Lynx   7896.JPG
    Lynx 7896.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Wolf  8013.jpg
    Wolf 8013.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Woplf  8020.jpg
    Woplf 8020.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Day Six
Our last Day, And we had the choice of any of the hides, I would have liked a Goshawk to complete a great trip but the reports from this hide were not good so it had to be the Golden Eagle Hide for me and hopefully a Grandstand finish, Three other members of the group choose the same venue, As we climbed the icy slope to the Eagle Hide we were full of anticipation we settled in and waited and waited finally after four hours a golden Eagle arrived it stayed ten minutes then departed we still managed some nice shots but after the two other hectic visits to this hide we were surprised by the only one visit from a Eagle, We could not be disappointed we still managed some good shots and the time spent in this Hide in the course of the week had been outstanding. The other group members had fared the same at other venues, The birds were having a off day.

Attachments

• Golden Eagle  8124.jpg
    Golden Eagle 8124.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Golden Eagle  8206.jpg
    Golden Eagle 8206.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Golden Eagle  4234.jpg
    Golden Eagle 4234.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 153
  • Golden Eagle  8200.jpg
    Golden Eagle 8200.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Golden Eagle  8150.jpg
    Golden Eagle 8150.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 164
Conclusion
For me this was a Dream come true the photo’ I returned with far exceeded my expectations the organization and work required to achieve this is considerable,
Our Norwegian Guide Ole Martin Dahle has a love and Knowledge of Nature Second to none.
On the ethical side I am satisfied that there were no Animals deliberately killed to facilitate the taking of these photo’s. Norway like most Scandinavian countries have a long tradition of Hunting and Conservation, They seem to sit well together much more so than in the UK. The carcasses used coming from either Road kills or surplus from Hunting.
The Eagles benefit greatly from this supplementary feeding so much so that there is a good population of White-tailed Eagles in the area producing a surplus of chicks which with the help of Ole Martin Dahle are used in the Irish release scheme.
Norway is a expensive destination the full cost of the trip taking in a night in a Airport Hotel and spending money was in the region of £2300 with the way the Pound is at present the cost of this holiday will only rise. For me personally it was good value for money as it fulfilled a long held ambition.

Attachments

• Golden Eagle  3660.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3660.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Golden Eagle  3735.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3735.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Golden Eagle  3412.jpg
    Golden Eagle 3412.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Crested Tit  4576.jpg
    Crested Tit 4576.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 146
  • White-tailed Sea Eagle  6480.jpg
    White-tailed Sea Eagle 6480.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 153
While expensive, I'm sure worth every penny for the Eagle shots jt, you've got some real keepers there. The mammal shots are excellent too but agree with you, would rather see birds and mammals in the wild than in 'captivity' despite their apparent comfort and ease of living! Glad to see roadkill being put to such good use!

Last edited:
Hi JT,
Just read this twice it was so good , great images and story, thanks very much for sharing it with us .

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back