• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro-Tech AF70 1.25/2" Eyepieces (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I was wondering if anyone has used any of these 70 degree eyepieces in the Pentax 65ED-AII. I am interested in the 17mm. I was comparing it to the Baader Hyperion 17mm. It has the same element/group spec's, with the Baader being a few ounces lighter but with 17mm of eyerelief ??? ...gwen

Last edited:
Want to see a Hand Grenade size eyepiece on the Pentax 65mm scope

I was wondering if anyone has used any of these 70 degree eyepieces in the Pentax 65ED-AII. I am interested in the 17mm. I was comparing it to the Baader Hyperion 17mm. It has the same element/group spec's, with the Baader being a few ounces lighter but with 17mm of eyerelief ??? ...gwen

A few days after I posted this question about the Astro-Tech AF70 17mm eyepiece, I came across one on that other site discounted for about $30 off the regular web site prices so I took a gamble not knowing if it would even come to focus on the little Pentax 65 EDAII. Well to my surprise ... WOW ! , what a nice eyepiece. Its the size of a hand grenade, having a Huge! size ocular lens which gives a panorama view slightly larger than the Pentax XW20. I could not believe just how big this thing was & to my relief it does focus near & far. I like this so much I just ordered the 13mm. I posted these pictures of the 17mm eyepiece in between a 12.0z /8.0z soda cans , along with the pentax 65mm with the 17mm Astro-Tech on my monopod. For those of you who are interested the Pentax's scope cover will zip up over the eyepiece with the rubber eye guard up .... gwen

Attachments

• DSCN2502.JPG
    DSCN2502.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN2504.JPG
    DSCN2504.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 190
That's a good question ? When I went back in forth comparing the view of both the Astro - Tech / Pentax, the Astro - Tech just seemed to give me a wider view with my glasses off. Maybe its the design of the Astro -Tech's eye ocular? , its flat field or just the way my 62 yr old eyes perceived the view. ..gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back