• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with mail order memory cards (1 Viewer)

Ben Rackstraw

Very sad that I have to post this, but I thought I ought to relate my recent unfortunate experiences with mail order of digital camera equipment...

A problem with 7dayshop.com's location in Guernsey is that they have to label their packages as containing photographic media, so that customs do not X-ray the packs. This makes them an obvious target for any unscrupulous Royal Mail staff - and we seem to have someone like this in our local area.

Two weeks ago, we received delivery of a package that was supposed to contain a 256Mb memory card, but which had been ripped open and the contents taken (although leaving the invoice inside). This came in a Royal Mail apologies bag.

I immediately contacted both 7dayshop and Royal Mail, both of whom replied to state that I should sort out the problem with the other party. 7dayshop have washed their hands of the problem, stating that since Royal Mail admitted liability then I should fight it out with them, and that they wouldn't be sending a replacement card out to me. Royal Mail said that normally the sender would do this, and then pursue the claim against Royal Mail themselves. I am still awaiting a reply to my follow-up e-mail to Royal Mail (almost 2 weeks since I sent it).

So this left me out of pocket and without a memory card for my camera. I have since ordered another card from an alternative, mainland UK source, and will be doing this for all my purchases in future.

Just thought I'd let people know about this problem... it would seem that goods from 7dayshop might be at a higher risk from theft, and the company are not prepared to provide the support to their customers when this does happen.

And as for Royal Mail....well.... :C

Been to 7day.shop once in Guernsey on holiday and picked up a card. Had some delivered once and luckily they came okay. Sorry to hear about your unscrupulous postie!

I am beginning to think this is much more of a problem than we the public will ever get to know about.
In my personal experience I have had several packs containing CDs not reach the destination, to the point that I always make sure that the packing of them is done in a way that the contents cannot be felt through the envelope, and I NEVER use the CD postage packs. I would imagine that whoever is responsible thinks that they are music CDs and then discards them when they discover otherwise.

Not sure if they have the same system in Guernsey, but did they do a proof of posting on this item? (probably not if they are sending large quantities though).
I once ordered 2 items from the same person - (one arrived the other didn't) did an online complaints form on Royal Mail website, in the meanwhile contacted the sender who sent me ther proof of posting card (even though it had numerous other parcels on). Once sent to Royal Mail I received a refund including postage on this.
Might be worth checking to see.

What a world we live in now when your post isnt safe..Your post has me worried as im waiting for a memory card to arrive today...Ive got no finger nails left now.. keep pestering Royal Mail it sounds like it was there fault..

I've bought stuff off 7dayshop before without any problems, I was just about to order some more memory cards as theirs seem to be the cheapest but after reading your post I might look for a mainland supplier. Anyone know of a good cheap supplier?

Check out Digital Depot at Stevenage and High Wycombe, they have 1Gb cards made by Kingstone for less than 50 quid, lifetime warranty too, I've got a few of them and they have been problem free.

Ben Rackstraw said:
7dayshop have washed their hands of the problem, stating that since Royal Mail admitted liability then I should fight it out with them, and that they wouldn't be sending a replacement card out to me. C

7dayshop have a contract with you to deliver an item, you have a contract with them. You have no contract with Royal mail. 7day shop have a duty to deliver the item to you. I presume you paid for this with your credit card, if you inform the credit card company of the problem they will refund the payment for the item from your bill and will take up the matter with 7dayshop. Your credit card company can not avoid doing this, they might ask you to take it up with 7dayshop again but in the end they must refund your money and take it up with 7dayshop

T. Keith Bruce said:
I bought a 1Gb card from
http://www.photo-scotland.co.uk/acatalog/secure_digital.html
it was an ultra therefore slightly faster transfer when on continuous exposures, and it works a treat. It was a little more expensive but worth it. £79 I seem to remember. The Kingston cards were £54 there.
Shame on the Post Office Ben, hope you get compensated.

Keith
Also check http://www.directfrom.com/productview.asp?id=1595&ac=dealtime
which is where I bought a 256mb card from for £14.49, their Kingston 1gb card is just over £48 including delivery.

Thanks all on the advice on reasonably priced cards. would I be ok with a 1GB card in my CP4500? The highest I've used so far is 256MB.

A sorry tale.

We had a postman in a village where I used to live that would keep back letters that felt like they contained credit cards or similar then wait for something looking like a pin number to arrive for the same address and use the card to take cash. He was later entertained by Her Majesty I believe.

I had an order for a moth trap bulb that didn't arrive, which left me out of pocket. Might have been broken in transit and then thrown out rather than be delivered damaged I guess.

There's no reason why you can't use a 1Gb card, providing the manual says its ok. Hey!, with a 1Gb card I get 255 6Mb photos. great when your doing action shots on continuous mode.

Don`t worry about using cards larger than 256mb on a cp4500,the maximum card size stated in the manual is the biggest the camera has been tested with.Any card size should work I was told this by Nikon UK.

Cheers Steve.

Unfortunately Royal Mail don't seem to vet their staff quite like they used too and now employ a hell of a lot of unvetted agency workers.
The earlier poster is quite correct in that your contract is with seven day shop. Unfortunately as you bought this overseas your local trading standards would be able to do very little.

Regards

Mark

Andrew said:
Is there something good about Kingston CF cards?

Not really, they are just very good value. And I suspect that if you peeled the labels off a good many CF cards and checked them against each other they would all be manufactured by the same company!!!
I know a lot of BP511 batteries all have the same injection moulding data on their cases whether they cost £24-99 or £55, they just have a different name on the packing.

Cheers Nigel. I am gonna go for some from your Digital Depot recommendation cos they are swearingly cheap! Paid £20 for a 128Mb CF from 7dayshop a few years back thinking that was cheap! Will go for a 258Mb as that is how far my loose change stretches at the mo.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back