• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo Editing Programs (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum,
I'm going to take JohnJ's advice here and ask if anyone knows of a free downloadable photo editing program I could get. The one I have just doesn't do enough. I'd like something with lots of options in it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Tammie,

If you are looking for a "free" program with lots of options, you will be hard pressed to find one. There are a number of free options out there, and each does a little different (example, NeatImage reduces noise wonderfully and sharpens fairly well). This is one area where you will have to pay to get lots of options. However, most programs do have a 30 day free trial period. Also, I have not used it, but others I know have and like Breezebrowser (www.breezebrowser.com). I believe it is free. If you find something else, let me know.

Hi Tammie, I've not used these (or any other photo editing programs yet) but I am aware of a couple of them that are available free. They are.

SATORI PHOTOXL and THE GIMP

You can download both from the following URL

http://www.pricelessware.org/2002/pricelesswaregraphics.htm

This is a reliable site, so both downloads should be safe from hidden nasties.

If you do try them let us know how they perform.

Cheers

Paul

See, I told you they would know!! You will probably get more suggestions on this subject so come on folks, lets help the little lady get some good software to help her editing. Do Adobe Photoshop offer any free downloads on any of their old programmes. Do Paint shop pro offer similar things as well. Any other programmes that we can help Tammie with.

Paul, Unfortunately I haven't been able to get GIMP to work. It doesn't seem to come with a set-up program and we couldn't access anything else on the site. Photo Sartori is going to take a bit of time to figure out. I also downloaded PhotoPlus 5 but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
Sorry Brian but BreezeBrowser isn't free. John, thanks for all your help. I'll keep looking. I'm going to check out the NeatImage program you mention now.

Hi Tannie,
The one I use is not free but I find it has lots of options. It is called Paint Shop Pro. I'm sure you will be able to find it searching on the internet. I find it's useful for croping pictures and then you are not sending peoples heads in photos ect.

It may be best to buy or find out if you can get a loan of a copy for you to try. I know you want free stuff and I'll let you know if I come across anything. I have had little book I will look through to see if I can find you anything suitable.

Vicky@glos

You can occasionally get free, out-of-date software on some computer magazines (at least you can here in the UK - but I'm sure you would see similar where you are). On one cover-disc recently I had Paint Shop Pro 5 (the current version is 7 - I think). If you don't need the latest features, whatever they might be, it might be worth looking out for these discs.

I've also had, in the past, Satori PhotoXL, which I installed but didn't use afterwards.

You could try http://www.download.com - I think last time I looked they had some freeware photo-editing programs.

Thanks Vicky, that's where I got PhotoPlus 5 from last night. I appreciate your help! :)
Diane, thanks for the advice.

Tammie, sorry, I realized after the post that I had been given some bad info.

PS (not PSP, I do not know about them) does not offer any of their outdated programs for free, at least in the US.

Tammie,
I'm a bit late joining in on this thread, but you can download a free trial of ACDSee by following the link from their website: http://www.acdsystems.com/English/index.htm

The trial was 3 months when I first started using it about 18 months ago, then we bought the software. I couldn't find anywhere on the website where it said how long the trial is now. Its a great program for organizing and cataloging all your photos and comes with a decent editor. If you decide to buy it, its US$49.95.

Hope this helps.

ACDSee

Tammie,
I was able to find out that the trial period is 30 days, extendable to 45. Today, I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee 5.0 myself, as I lost the 4.0 version when my old computer crashed a few weeks ago. I had bought that version as a download, so had no CD to reload to my new computer! Have to say that the latest version is better, so I will probably buy the new one as an upgrade.

I found another one today called Oriens Enhancer which can be downloaded from the following site (Under Graphics Editors)
http://www.nonags.asi.fr/index.html

I have downloaded this and have had a 10 minute play with it. It seems quite good and is easy to use, although having never used any other similar program I cant give say how it stacks up against anything else.

I did have a problem with the first download in that it got corrupted by my Firewall (not the 1st time I've experienced this with Norton), so had to disable it and download again.

Here is a before and after image of a Waxwing using the above program which I thought not bad considering I've only used it for 15 minutes and there are no intructions with it

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input. I've downloaded or saved to favorites a number of programs to try. I'll get back here to soon to let you know which I preferred.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back