• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saw flare in the SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Six Point Five

Finally i saw some serious flare in the SV 8x32.
This morning i stopped by a puddle of water in a depression 3 meters bellow me, the sun was low at sunrise, bright, and was reflected in the puddle. I tried to check for snipe and sandpipers right towards the sun, and my FOV was right in between the light reflected by the water and just bellow the sun.
Half of the field of view was covered by golden glare and haze.
Interestingly, this happened within a very narrow cone of light, or angle. As soon as i moved the binoculars by just a little, the haze disappeared. Even with the haze, i was able to see very well 2 snipe.
Very minimal, very narrow angle. After moving away from the reflecting puddle, no more glare, even when looking under the sun.

There is no such thing as perfection;)

Look what I did to mine.

Attachments

• P4154147_cr.jpg
    P4154147_cr.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Oh praise the Lord! He's seen the light! :-O

B :)B :)
Nothing is perfect, but a cold beer helps. More cold beers help more.
I like the SV very much. The very next chance i get of a sunny morning i will go back with the old EL to the same spot at the same time of day, stop in the same place, look at the same thing, and see what happens.

In reality, in many years of using binoculars i have rarely had such viewing angles with two sources of bright light bracketing my field of view.

If you like looking at flares then look at the flares used during military exercises or flares from oil and gas fields.
Just joking, any pair of bino's will show CA/flare given the right conditions.
My Leica, Swaro and Zeiss all do...simply the laws of physics.
Glass and coatings at the price level of even high end consumer optics can only do so much.
The military with much larger budgets sometimes are able to buy glass with less flare but there still is some.
Art

If you like looking at flares then look at the flares used during military exercises or flares from oil and gas fields.
Just joking, any pair of bino's will show CA/flare given the right conditions.
My Leica, Swaro and Zeiss all do...simply the laws of physics....
Art

The Law of Veiling Glare (from "The Feynman Lectures on Physics")

The angle of incident light is equal to the size of the reflected glare.

A. Feyn Man

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back