• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve May 2018 (1 Viewer)

Hi Hiccup,

Are you staying in a specific part of the Algarve or do you want to travel throughout the region?

Another question: are you looking for some species in particular?

Algarve Wildlife - https://www.nhbs.com/algarve-wildlife-book is a good introduction to the area to read up on before you arrive

There's plenty on the web - this is quite a useful website: http://www.walkalgarve.com/algarve-birdwatching-bird-hotspots
I also downloaded a walking / birdwatching sites guide to the Algarve a couple of years ago, but a quick Google has failed to re-find it - maybe others can send you a link.

I've never visited in May - only late Sept/Oct, others on this forum will give you better info on what is around in spring - stuff I've never seen there like rollers, hoopoe and great spotted cuckoo will all be likely.

The first thing to do is get a seat on the left hand side of the plane and hope the wind is from the east - you can twitch greater flamingo from the plane on your approach to Faro airport. Whichever end of the Algarve you are staying, its worth checking out those flamingos - take a left out of the airport at the roundabout signposted 'Praia de Faro' and park at the side of the road at the end of the runway, when you reach the saltmarsh. Walk along the causeway for better views of the flamingos, if you get as far as the golf course you'll likely see western purple swamphen and Iberian magpie.

Beyond Faro, as Goncalo says, it very much depends on where you are staying and how much you want to travel. I personally like the eastern Algarve with its marshes and saltpans, but then I'm going at a season when waders are a key attraction - I know others on here (such as Simon) will put a strong case for the attractions of the western Algarve.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back