• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Lens for birding with (1 Viewer)

hartley

Can anyone make some suggestions on a good lens for birding with to use on a Nikon D70 body?

Also how does the Nikon D70 do with digiscoping?

Thanks in Advance,

Hart.

Probably best to give some idea as to what your budget is, then I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a good lens.

Plenty of good lenses - Sigma 135-400mm, Sigma 80-400mm OS, Nikkor 80-400mm VR, Tamron 200-500mm, Sigma 50-500mm - all of which are used to good effect by D70 users on this forum (I've got the Sigma 135-400 and the 80-400 OS, and they're both great).

But best?

Can't help you there!

;)

As Postie says, an idea of budget would be a great help.

So would something about how you'd want to use the lens - handheld, tripod-mounted - and what kinds of birds you want to shoot: different requirements/solutions for taking pics of the birds on your garden feeders from ten feet away, compared to (say) shooting hunting ospreys from 200 yards off...

I don't know the Nikon world at all but I can tell you that in the Canon world there are two prime lenses that pros love for wildlife photography, including birds These are the 300 f2.8 (with IS, preferably) and, better yet, the 500 f4. Both are very expensive and pretty heavy but definitely 'the best' in terms of resolution, light gathering, etc. Nikon most likely has something equivalent.

Hi Art,

kind of in line with your posting, Nikon have a 300mm prime - the AF-S 300mm F4 IF ED - which is right up there.

Review here:

http://www.bythom.com/300AFSlens.htm

Best of all (apart from how good it is with a 1.4x teleconvertor) is that it's (by the general standard of quality primes) very reasonably priced - £860 or therebouts (equating to $1734 CDN/$2011 AUS at today's exchange rate).

The Nikon 300/4 AFS is a great lens. Works very nice with TC's and is tack sharp with a fabulous bokeh.

Thanks Yossi - praise indeed if you rate it so highly.

I must admit, I was very close to going down that route myself recently - it seems like an awful lot of lens for the price.

hartley said:
Can anyone make some suggestions on a good lens for birding with to use on a Nikon D70 body?

Thanks in Advance,

Hart.

The rumours are that Nikon will be announcing some VR stabilized long glass early next year, so if you have plenty of cash, hang on?! I use the Sigma 50-500 and it is amazingly good.

Hi all, thanks for the replies, not really sure about the money front -350 mark maybe, if I can save a little extra then I will go up to 400, can't justify anything more than that at the moment (seeing that I am not the one doing the earning).
Have written down those mentioned so I'll go and have a look see!

Thank you, hartley

hartley said:
Pounds... sorry for the confusion :)

Hartley

Used Sigma 50-500 HSM if you can find one.

Otherwise I'd have to recommend the AF-S II Nikkor F4 600mm, which I can't afford :)

OK,

in that price range, some of the options I've suggested become difficult unless you can get a break on a used lens, or buy from Hong Kong via Ebay.

Of the lenses I mentioned, the only one I know fits is the Sigma 135-400 (which I highly recommend, incidentally).

It comes in at anything between £300 and £400+ depending on which site.

Note also that there's a brand new "DG" version which is more expensive, but the older model (the one I've got), is a cracking lens anyway.

Examples attached...

Attachments

• gold11700.jpg
    gold11700.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 275
  • gold12700.jpg
    gold12700.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 241
  • goldcrest1700.jpg
    goldcrest1700.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 100percentcrop700.jpg
    100percentcrop700.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 235
Keith's shots prove the quality of the 135-400mm but, if you're after a bit more reach (and aren't we all), Warehouse Express currently have the non-DG version of the 170-500mm as recently showcased by Psilo (check out some of her recent shots here) amongst others.

Keith Reeder said:
OK,

in that price range, some of the options I've suggested become difficult unless you can get a break on a used lens, or buy from Hong Kong via Ebay.

Of the lenses I mentioned, the only one I know fits is the Sigma 135-400 (which I highly recommend, incidentally).

It comes in at anything between £300 and £400+ depending on which site.

Note also that there's a brand new "DG" version which is more expensive, but the older model (the one I've got), is a cracking lens anyway.

Examples attached...

Oh aye, if the 170-500mm is on the cards at the right price, consider that too.

The reason I didn't mention that lens earlier is that I haven't seen many examples of its use that have really impressed me - but that was before I realised that Psilo uses one..!

;)

SeanKP said:
Keith's shots prove the quality of the 135-400mm but, if you're after a bit more reach (and aren't we all), Warehouse Express currently have the non-DG version of the 170-500mm as recently showcased by Psilo (check out some of her recent shots here) amongst others.
Oops, I meant to say at £399 which seems a bit of a bargain.

Sorry for the late response. I had a Nikkor 80-400VR, & sold it as fast as I could. Terible results across the board.

I went for the big gun & bought a Nikkor 200-400VR. UNbelievable. You'll hate buying it because of the $$$$, but only until you start seeing the results of its images.

hartley said:

Thanks in Advance,

Hart.

I use a Sigma 300mm 2.8 and Sigma 500mm 4.5, both A/F but normally used on manual. Good quality lenses but support in the form of a tripod or monopod essensial for most of the time. They also have the advantage of a 1.5 times effective increase in focal length on th D70/70S.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back