• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine Swift in Scarborough and a very unhappy digiscoper. (1 Viewer)

On Monday I finally dragged my lazy carcass up to Scarborough to see the Alpine Swift.

After waiting a couple of hours on Oliver's Mount for it not to show we decided to go to the seafront to find the Med Gulls that had been there recently. From the clifftop we soon picked up 2 stunning full summer adults on the tidal rocks very distantly, but still had great views.

I then tried something new. I got Sarah to hold my 8x bins against my 18x scope eyepiece & then filmed on my 10x video camera. The result was actually not too bad! Managed to get some frame filling footage of its eye.

We then went back up to Oliver's Mount where about 15 people had assembled all scanning in vain. No sighting all day.

I had a gut feeling that I wasn't going to see it as it was the first good weather for a week & I figured this could be its opportunity to make a move. I also realised that I actually hadn't dipped so far this year - I really thought this was going to be the year's first!

As we chatted about how it probably left over night, I noticed a gap in the trees to my left, so I took a little wander just to see if the view was better. As I was walking it shot straight over the trees about 10metres from me.

"I'VE GOT IT" was the only thing I could scream causing everyone to run over and sure enough there it was "showing well" as the pager described it. So much for my gut feeling!

Birdnet had absolutely no idea what I was saying, I was far too excited when I phoned it in.

It did show superbly over the war memorial and then at eye level straight out in front of us over Scarborough town.

I got my video camera out and started filming it distantly. It then started to head straight towards us. It became bigger & bigger through the viewfinder. This was going to be some amazing footage. Closer & closer and then straight over my head.

It then went out of view behind the trees. I scanned back through the film & began showing everyone this really amazing footage I'd got. I was so impressed with myself.

Then it came back again so I started filming again, but this time it was too distant so after a minute or so I stopped and put the camera away.

As soon as I zipped the bag up I knew what I'd done. OH NO! I'd wiped off all the good stuff with this distant rubbish of basically a dot!

So I thought I'd try again. I got some reasonable film, but nothing like before, oh well that's life. It was a record at least.

Next we went to Scalby Mills and saw the Glaucous Gull, when Sarah started talking to a few guys who were just on their way to see the Swift. She got my camera to show them, but not knowing how to use it she set it to the record mode and wiped off all of the Swift other than one tiny portion of a dot disappearing behind a tree!

If you were those guys I apologise for my language and I admit that yes it was incredibly childish when I kicked my scope over.

Still, you look back on those things and laugh...don't you?

My God Tom. Now that is a catalogue of woe's. The only consolation is that you did get to see it. Just think of all the birders, me included, that still have to get one onto their British list.

Having said that you have my commiserations on the lost footage.

Hard luck Tom,Olivers Mount brings back lots of memories,Barry(hubby) used to race there(motorbikes) it was one of his favourite tracks,he said the scenery was superb.

Hi Steve

Unfortunately the A Swift only passed through Oxford, flying west. It hasn't been reported since. Up until this week I would have had time to go after various birds but I have just started a temporary job job so have to wait for Saturday and just look at what's about the Midlands. R R Swallow near you, Ring Ouzel in Bilston, Stork over Nuneaton, Sandwich Tern near Dudley and poss G G Shrike near Walsall.

I'm just hoping the R R Swallow & R Ouzel are still there on Saturday.

I don't know where Bilston is - is it near to me? Hope to see you on Saturday - the views are not exactly superb, but it was there until dusk yesterday.

It is near to Wolverhampton Steve. Bad news. A few minutes ago I was told that this temprary job, that should have lasted at least a month, will end tomorrow at 17:00. Oh well! back out of work again.

Thank you Tom for admitting the kind of thing we all do!

It is human nature to take pleasure in the fact that we are not the only plonker around. Still, seeing it is the main thing and you have seen a great bird I haven't seen in Britain so I am jealous as well as amused.

Lets have some more admissions for "Plonker of the Week." I feel a new thread coming on!

James

Reader said:
It is near to Wolverhampton Steve. Bad news. A few minutes ago I was told that this temprary job, that should have lasted at least a month, will end tomorrow at 17:00. Oh well! back out of work again.
Sorry about the job - I don't know. Something will turn up, I hope! The r-r swallow was showing "well" today at a distance for short periods of time but the weather seems to be sending the flies high up and those blessed birds go after 'em.

Mind you, while watching it I also saw a pair of siskin, a pair of marsh tits, a raven and six buzzards + heard a lsw. A good morning indeed.

Good day you had there Steve. I hope the RR Swallow will still be there on Saturday. If it is I will be coming up. I may have someone else with me as well. I should know Friday night if I am going after it. If I do I will ring you.

Hi Tom et al

We deceided to have a drive out to Scarborough 2day, (aah memories of many happy childhood holidays.)
We parked the car & saw the bird before the boot was closed.
We walked to the top of the hill at Scalby & (like Tom) couldn't believe How close the bird was.
At one point it passed by us at waist height, only 10 feet away!!
Lets just say.........its a far better flyer than i am at taking photo's

But, i hope this pic below jogs the memory Tom.

Stevie Evans.

Attachments

• Alpine Swift.jpg
    Alpine Swift.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 220
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back