• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? Rainham Marshes, Essex Kent (1 Viewer)

GorgeousTony

Warbler? Rainham Marshes, Essex UK

I spotted this chap in the distance so this picture is as good as it gets. It was about the size of a warbler and dartford warblers had been spotted in this patch of scrub. Could this be a dartford?. Any suggestions?

Tony

Attachments

• Unknown_2858.JPG
    Unknown_2858.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I'd agree with female Stonechat... think I'd take issue with the thread title though, not so much because it wasn't a warbler (2-bird theory - wouldn't be surprising if there was a Dartford following it around ;)), but more because I haven't heard of the famous Rainham or Essex in Kent :p

Jan

female stonechat, dartford warbler

undoubtedly. The first thing you'll notice about a Dartford warbler, which were upgraded to internationally 'near threatened' by the way on the recent IUCN redlist, is the long tail and dark overall appearance. O.k. two things.

But the tail's a giveaway. I have them in the scrub at the back of the house. When they fly they appear to bounce off the top of the vegetation they fly so low and undulating.

Good luck finding one.

Agreeing with the stonechat comments, nice birds to photo too as they like perching on top of bushes. A good place to find Dartford Warblers Tony is on the Surrey heathland areas of Frensham or Thursley Commons (down the A3 past Guildford!) which is where I snapped this one a couple of months ago. The red eye-ring is a give away but I guess if you get close enough to see that, it would be easily to ID on a lot of other fronts!

Kev

Attachments

• P1080041.JPG
    P1080041.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 85
Another good place is Yateley Common South on the A30 near Camberley. At some points, you can hardly walk for a minute without seeing one. When I was still fairly new to this, I'd gone looking there for Stonechats and saw a Dartford instead. Took me a few minutes to convince myself I hadn't made some major mistake in identification.

There have been 2 or 3 Dartfords wintering at Rainham (which is most deffo in Essex as Kent is on other side of river). However, there are also around 20 Stonechats there and the bird in the photo is a young Stonechat.

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate the advice on where to go to see Dartfords. I think I'll persevere with Rainham for now as I've only been there the once and was more interested in seeing the Serin (which I did !), but Dartfords are on my hit list now.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back